Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got some ronidazole tabs, 30 mg to use as a preventive for canker. I have 6 adult pigeons and a 3 week old baby who has had a rough beginning and weighs 250 grams. I've tried to research information about proper dosage and have found many conflicting suggestions. The only thing it says on the can is 1 tab per pigeon for 1-2 consecutive days (for preventive) and to follow with multivitamins. A couple of websites said 30 mg was a really big dosage, and it should only be given every couple of weeks. At this point, I'm really worried about the baby (I posted about him last week). He is being fed by the parents, but isn't gaining weight from day to day. It goes up right after feeding, and then down again. I've been supplementing with pieces of corn and peas, and today he has started pecking at some seeds I put near him. His keel bone is sticking out, and he is developing slowly. If anyone knows about proper dosage, I would really appreciate it as I'd like to get them all started on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I dont know what websites are giving you this information,
but NO ANTIBIOTICS should ever be used for preventative measures.
This is really a foolhardy exercise as antibiotics are there to treat bacteria when a problem arises.
All birds have the bacteria that causes canker, but their own immune system will normally keep it in check.
If used on a regular basis for preventative treatment, the bacteria mutate & become immune to them, creating even more of a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree with you; same with antibiotics and people. Besides the information on the websites, I know several pigeon owners who do this. Need to rethink for sure! Thanks. As for my little guy, I'll continue to supplement his feedings and see what happens over the next few days as he's still not gaining weight. Not acting sick, though, which is a positive sign.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts