Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby pigeon, who I am hand raising, has canker. Ive read other posts that say to use fishzole. The pet store here only carries a product containing 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantel per packet of powder. How much should I give? How often?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can't use that. You need to find it with just Metronidazole in it. There must be somewhere else that sells it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why can't I use it? I read the other ingredient helps kill worms. I don't know how much longer this bird has and I can't even try anywhere else till late morning tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Fish Zole

You can use it. If it is 250mg give the bird .25% 1/4 one time. That should
do it. If not 1 more time .25%. If that dosen't do its not canker. It could be Sinusitis which is a cold. When you remove canker it bleeds. If it don't bleed its a cold. Danny Joe

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Why can't I use it? I read the other ingredient helps kill worms. I don't know how much longer this bird has and I can't even try anywhere else till late morning tomorrow.
You should not use this because the 75mg Praziquantel that is included is for treating tape worms, and in pigeons, a worm that they don't get that often, plus on top of that, the dosing for pigeons is 10-20mg/kg once, and then repeated in 12-14 days. This means that for each 100 grams of body weight a pigeon should get 1-2mg, one time only, so for example a 200g bird should get 2-4mg, once. There is also the fact it is not recommended to use anthelmintics (de-wormers) on baby birds.

Because you would be treating for a number of days with the Metronidazole + Praziquantel combo, the same example 200g bird would be getting 6mg a day of Praziquantel, if you used a common dosing for Metronidazole of 50mg/kg BID, each day of treatment if you used these pills. So from the first day you would be overdosing this little guy with the Praziquantel.

Call around to tropical fish stores, ask for Metroplex by Seachem, this is a 100% Metronidazole powder, easy to make into a suspension, I can help you if needed. How was this little guy diagnosed for canker?

Karyn

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I gave the baby to a friend of mine who has a friend who is familiar with pigeon illnesses and has meds for the little guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trichocure one tablet for two days= 2 tablets bird is cured simple

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Trichocure one tablet for two days= 2 tablets bird is cured simple
That sounds great, but one tablet for two days doesn't always work. Often times you would probably have to treat longer than two days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jay im not saying im right and your wrong pal,Trichocure hasnt let me down yet, and its a simple 2 day treatment,i dont know if everyone on this site is a vet but its frightening reading some of the answers to posts asking for help im not saying love me love me im stupid but why not just go the easy way first :confused:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Trichocure is Ronidazole, and it is a great product, but many cases of canker are hard to get rid of, and although they advertise 1 day, I'm just saying that Spartrix advertises the same thing, one pill one day. One pill one day doesn't work, but they say it will. Hard to believe that any one pill would cure it. Even Ronidazole.
Ridzol is Ronidazole 10%, and they say 1 pill for 5 days. What percent Ronidazole is Trichocure?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Jay im not saying im right and your wrong pal,Trichocure hasnt let me down yet, and its a simple 2 day treatment,i dont know if everyone on this site is a vet but its frightening reading some of the answers to posts asking for help im not saying love me love me im stupid but why not just go the easy way first :confused:
Probably because the easiest way as you seem to think, doesnt always work, and by the time you find that out its sometimes too late.

I also dont understand why its frightening reading some of the posts about help ? Maybe because you havent experianced first hand all the things that others have, or are not used to the on hand help.
No, most on here are not vets, but many have knowledge & experiance with pigeons that very few qualified vets will ever have.
Most people on here try to help as best as possible and it can be difficult when one has to go on just verbal or sometimes photographic views & does not see the actual bird in reality to get a better diagnosis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts