Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a pigeon with a quite big, skin-coloured growth just above the cere for 3 weeks.
She also has a small dark red scab on one elbow joint. On the other wing there is another similar scab but 1-2 cm below the other scab.
I medicated for canker 3 weeks ago and she seemed absolutely fine. However since yesterday she has stopped eating and she is very thirsty. She has brown, smelly diarrhea.

I suspected bacterial infection, probably paratyphoid, and I put her on Baytril.
I also give her spartrix for canker again since I saw a very small white residue inside the mouth at the front of the bottom beak. The throat is clear.

The growth above the cere tells me she must have pox. The scabs on the elbow joint and just below, the smelly diarrhea and the excessive thirst tells me she also has paratyphoid (salmonellosis).
The white residue points to canker as well.

Is it common for pox to be accompanied by salmonellosis because of the weakened immune system ?

Is there another disease that can explain these symptoms ?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Can you post a picture?
The small white residue could be yeast instead of canker.
Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes.
Are you hand feeding her and keeping her warm? She also needs to be separated from your other birds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

She sits next to a radiator and she is hand fed.

I have Nystatin but it's for humans and suspended in ethanol, so I don't know if the ethanol is toxic to pigeons. It's 96% ethanol ! I also don't know the dosage.

These are the details:
1.1 Trade name NYSTAMYSYN Oral suspension

1.2 Composition Active ingredients: Nystatin Excipients..Glycerol, sucrose, sodium phosphate dibasic, saccharin sodium, cinnamic acid, ethanol (96%), methyl paraben, propyl paraben, croscarmelose sodium, pepermint oil, cherry flavour, water purified

1.3 Pharmaceutical form: Oral suspension

1.4 Content: Nystatin 100000IU/ML

I have a problem with my camera and can't take a picture.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
You can get some plain yougart, with active cultures and give her 1cc 3 times a day.
Is the food emptying from her crop in a timely way?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The yoghurt is for friendly bacteria I assume.
I actually have probiotic becteria in powder.

I really don't know about food emptying in a timely manner yet as my first feeding was 2 hours ago. I don't see a very hard/full crop but I only gave her 20 pea / small corn sized seeds.
I start with popping seeds first. Tomorrow I will move on to tube feeding. In the three weeks I have had her she has been eating a lot, especially peanuts, and she is a healthy weight.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Yes...that's what the yogurt is for.
You would want to give her probiotics AFTER she has finished a course of baytril.
The amount you gave her isn't enough to sustain her and so I'm glad you will start hand feeding. Why are you waiting until tomorrow?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I understand why you are waiting until tomorrow...you are in the UK and it's night time there!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I understand why you are waiting until tomorrow...you are in the UK and it's night time there!
On this side of the Atlantic, anyway...pigifan is in Greece.

I have checked my own bottle of Nystatin: It is 100,000 units per ml, other ingredients are listed as: cherry flavour, cinnamic aldehyde, ethanol, glycerin, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, peppermint oil, pH adjusters (hydrolchloric acid, sodium hydroxide), propyl parahydroxy-benzoate, soduim carboxy-methylcellulose, sodium phosphate, sucrose, water.

I have some notes on the dosage, but they say "100,000 units per 300gms". "1 to 2 drops after each feed" and 100,000 units per kg, every 8 to 12 hours for 5-10 days"...a bit confusing? I usually give 1/2 ml and that seems to work, but maybe someone else has something more precise about the dosage?

At the moment I am nursing a woodie with pox, I will upload a photo for you to compare it to tomorrow, pigifan.

Cynthia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.