Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed this today on my friends baby pigeon, it looks like canker but im not shure if it is. Its like a yellow stuff on the back of its tounge/throat. I thought it was food at first but then it didnt go away after giving it water. Heres a picture, it was quite hard to take, if its not good enough I might be able to get a better one.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I would suspect so, although I've never actually seen canker. Can you get a picture of the baby's face? How old is the baby? Does the bottom of face and neck area seem to be bare of feathers?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick responce. Hes about 6-7 days old so the feathers wouldnt really show yet. There seems to be a bit of swelling right at the base of the beak. Also he seems to be breathing through his mouth a bit, and makes some gurgling sounds because he is salivating alot.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, it most likely is canker. Is this the only baby your friend has? Does it have a sibling? Parents? Canker is contagious, so if there's a flock/loft of pigeons sharing water, etc........they probably all need to be treated. Do you have canker meds on hand?

PS: That baby is a little older than 6/7 days. More like 10 to 12 days old.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have any meds on hand, but could probably get some. It had a sibling but it died and then this baby was abandoned, after we found out that it seemed a bit sick we took it and isolated it. Ill make shure to check on its parents to see if they have canker. Oh also just now I noticed the baby has terrible breath, almost like rotting meat. I hope i can get it better soon.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I dont have any meds on hand, but could probably get some. It had a sibling but it died and then this baby was abandoned, after we found out that it seemed a bit sick we took it and isolated it. Ill make shure to check on its parents to see if they have canker. Oh also just now I noticed the baby has terrible breath, almost like rotting meat. I hope i can get it better soon.
That's what canker smells like or so I'm told.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, in searching Google, an article says that when that smell occurs the canker is in its advanced stage. Are there any medications you could suggest? There seem to be alot.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yes, in searching Google, an article says that when that smell occurs the canker is in its advanced stage. Are there any medications you could suggest? There seem to be alot.
I really don't think you have time to order anything. Do you know any pigeon fanciers? There's got to be some in your area I would think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If i remember correctly, there is a member in Miami, but other then that nobody around here raises pigeons except me and my friend. Petco and Pet Supermarket dont have the Fish-Zole, but ill look and see if i can find another pet store someplace close.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
If i remember correctly, there is a member in Miami, but other then that nobody around here raises pigeons except me and my friend. Petco and Pet Supermarket dont have the Fish-Zole, but ill look and see if i can find another pet store someplace close.
Can you go to Miami? We do have a member/moderator in Miami, and I'm sure she would help you out if you can get there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh miami is kinda out of the way, my parents wouldnt want to drive me all the way out there, but just to be certain, im going to go to pet supermarket and see if they have the fish-zole. If I find some how much should I give to the baby?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Heh miami is kinda out of the way, my parents wouldnt want to drive me all the way out there, but just to be certain, im going to go to pet supermarket and see if they have the fish-zole. If I find some how much should I give to the baby?
If you find some, get it and then come back here. We'll have to get someone to help us figure out how much to give, because I honestly have no idea. It will depend on what size tablets/capsules you get.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If the pills you get are 250mg...cut them in half...cut the half in 5 pieces and give the baby 1 of those 5 pieces each day for 7 days. This is the dose I would use for this baby.
If the baby has canker, the parents do as well. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean they don't have canker. That is a fatal mistake many people make. They think that if they can't see canker in the mouth and throat, it isn't there.
The dose will be different for the parents and it would be great if you could weight them so the dose can be appropriate to their size. Most of us use a kitchen scale to weigh the birds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright then, pet supermarket does not have Fish-Zole, in fact they havent even heard of it. Is there a site I could order medication from that has 1 day delivery or would that be to late?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Start calling all the pet stores in the area that have fish supplies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have absolutely no fish supply stores around here that carry Fish-Zole. I also asked the name of the chemical thats in it Metronidazole, but again they had no idea. I had my father call his friend who has fish, he may have some, ill have to wait for him to call back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok i found something, its for Clout in fish but has the same kind of medicine, the chemical name is Nitromidozole, its like the "next generation" of metronidazole. Would it work? Or would it be worse and just kill the bird?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't know. I googled it and got nothing. Is that the active ingredient?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts