Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
metronidazole for Dove

How much of a 200mg metronidazole tab should i give to a 144 grams Collared Dove, and how do i mix it to put in a syringe. It is for a Bacterial infection

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Metronidazole ~ at that weight the dove only needs 6-8mg/day, divided into 2 dosings, min. 8 hrs apart. So 2 dosings of 3mg daily for at least 1 week.

This is based upon prescriptions from my Avian vet.

However, the "-zole" meds are very forgiving and usually it is OK if dosages exceed that a bit if it is too difficult to get a definitive measure of 6-8mg (i.e. 10-12 mg will do no harm).

Spartrix is typically 1 full tablet per Pigeon, repeat in 3-5 days; give on an empty or near-empty crop. Since your lil' friend is about 33-40% the weight of a basic Feral Pigeon, I would give just less than half a tablet.... then repeat in 3-5 days.

Spartix-Metro is a good 1-2 combination. Be sure to stagger the emds from each other (i.e. leave several hours (4-ish) between dosing the Metro and the Spartrix). The Metro need not be dosed on an empty crop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told to give SPARTRIX ONE TAB then a 1/4 a day for 5 days and 10 mgs Of METRONIDAZOLE a day for 5 days, will this stop a secondary Bacterial Infection, or will it be alright to give a 1/4 of a 50mg Synulox a day for 5 days along with the other two meds she does seem to have laboured breathing sometimes. The Dove weighs 144 grams. She has had one day of meds so far.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I was told to give SPARTRIX ONE TAB then a 1/4 a day for 5 days and 10 mgs Of METRONIDAZOLE a day for 5 days, will this stop a secondary Bacterial Infection, or will it be alright to give a 1/4 of a 50mg Synulox a day for 5 days along with the other two meds she does seem to have laboured breathing sometimes. The Dove weighs 144 grams. She has had one day of meds so far.
You treat with ONE or the other.....NOT both. Please refer to the other thread you started.
Metronidazole will treat 'some' bacterial infections, but not all. It would be better to use baytril for bacterial infection. Baytril can be given with metronidazole.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told that Canker can lead to a secondary bacterial infection, I have some synulox will this treat this and at which dose, if so do i wait to see if this occurs or give with the Metro

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Some of the vets do use the lower doses, because I think they're used to treating parrots, and don't see many pigeons or doves. Or they are using the older doses. But the lower doses aren't really very effective today, and in giving a lesser amount, and breaking up the dose, you stand more chance of helping the trichomonas build a resistance to the drug. I would give him more like 20 mg of the Metronidazole daily and always in one dose. The Spartrix hasn't worked as well for me, and one tablet doesn't really work. You would have to give it for 3 to 5 days. The directions that came with my Spartrix say to remove the food and water then medicate and wait for a couple of hours before returning the food and water. The Metronidazole can sometimes make them vomit on an empty stomache, so better to use that after feeding.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Oh...........didn't know there was more info. This is for bacterial infection, not canker.:confused:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Was he breathing like that before you medicated him? Could you have gotten any down his trach? Could be the peanut was causing a blockage, or canker is.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The 'peanut' could also be a canker lesion -- they bleed sometimes when they dislodge. Was that video taken before or after he vomited up the peanut?

That breathing looks bad -- I, personally, would give the synulox along with the canker meds -- or another antibiotic. Can you get doxycycline? That's generally a good first choice for respiratory problems.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
This happened after she gave the meds. I think she may have aspirated him. I explained how to cut the tablet up and give it that way. It's easy to send the med down the wrong way if you aren't used to giving liquids. Better to give tablet form if you can. He started breathing like this about 15 min after they gave the liquid med. Going to have to wait a bit and see if it clears or not.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That does sound like aspiration. I don't like giving liquid meds, even after doing this for years -- I also prefer pills. When I do give liquids individually, I use a crop tube. Doves are particularly hard to medicate, too -- they are small and very squirmy.

I hope this little guy made it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Sadly, he died this morning. Too bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts