Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a brown Lahore hen, who was in pretty bad shape and dislocated her wing last year. She's been inside and I cared for her. She was getting better and her wing healed up.

This year I put an egg from my coup outside under my Ringnecks, because a Lahore could be inside and my breeding outside is rubbish. The baby, a black Lahore, hatched in june but at around 3 weeks the ringnecks abandoned him. I found he was unable to move around properly and he adopted me as a mum. He was always searching for food, so I handfed him and later noticed he could eat, so I weened him. He still thought I ment food and still does.

Then there's pigeon number 3, also hatched in june. It was doing great, untill he had to feed himself. He got weaker and I gave him the young Lahore as a friend and example. The Lahore ate much better then the other pigeon.

Ok, long story, but I put the young pigeons in the cage next to the brown Lahore. Pigeon no3 didn't drink as well, so I taught him and they were doing well, except for the past couple of days.

No3 hunched a lot and if I picked him up, he would gasp for breath and stumble if I put him back. Then this morning he was sitting in a corner very quietly.
It was then I discovered that both Lahore's couldn't stand or walk. They just shuffled around.

Black Lahore and No3 are under a heat lamp now, but I think No3 is lost...

Does anyone have an explanaition for this?

All pigeons also can't fly and the younger ones still have yellow down on their heads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got two films so you can see how they walk. No3 sadly passed away moments ago. He did have some weird poop.

This is their diet.

I also mix in hennepseed.

Here's the black lahore. He weighs 401 grams
Please click here

And the brown Lahore. She weighs 495 grams, but I can feel her keel very clearly.
Please click here

I have all kinds of meds: anti-parasite, deworming, vitamins, garlic juice and oil.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I am sorry to hear you have lost one of your birds, please accept my condolences. Thanks for the clips, they were helpful. I have to run out but need clarification on a couple of things. One I can only see part of the legs in that photos you posted, but I am I seeing swelling in the joints/legs? You need to use to keep their vent (bum) area clean, a rinse with warm water, pat dry with Kleenex. You saying the brown Lahore weighs 495g, but has a sharp feeling keel does not make sense, unless she has something going on inside her that is making her retain a great deal of fluids or other mass, is her abdomen swollen, need a photo of her belly area and her droppings. You did not mention antibiotics in your list, what antibiotics do you have on hand, can you easily and quickly get some if needed?

Karyn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The picture was the pigeon who died, so it might be because of that. it was more to show the poop. The Lahores legs are fine

The brown Lahore does have a big belly. She feels heavy and she also drinks a lot. You fill her bottle in the morning and in the evening it's empty.

I can get antibiotics, yes.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
We are really going to need to see more photos, need to see, nice clear shots of the legs/joints and also of the brown Lahore's abdominal area and keel area (feathers parted), plus photos of their droppings (saying which belongs to who). Also, check their wing joints for any area that may have a bump/boil you may have missed. Any breathing issues or noises when breathing with the hen, does she ever open beak breath like she is gasping for breath?

Karyn

·
Registered
864 Posts
did u notice any bruising around the hips? joints?
i dont think its any deficiency judging by their diet.
best thing right now is to put them in a box. away from others. let them just sit i mean lay down. bring water and food. less stress the better..
any chance that something scared them at night so they started flying in fear..
usually bruising shows day or two later..
im almost clueless as to whats wrong with your birdies.. but we'll figure it out.
im sorry for the one you lost.his poop looked as he was filled with bacteria.
do u change their water often.
any fungus around? check the corners of the place they stay at.. make sure water dish is extra clean..
i wish i knew more.
have u considered taking them to the vet. i wouldnt even sit here and look for an advice for something that really is weird. 2 birds with same symptoms. id just take one to the vet and pay for extra med.. and i would hurry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lahores are in a sperate cage and under the heat lamp.

I will give them a thorough inspection tomorrow and make more pictures.

Goga82, I'm from holland...and the thing is, people, even vets, don't care about pigeons. He'll give me antibiotics(which I can get myself) or tell me to put the bird down. First response I got from my sister, whose boyfriend is a veterenarian(for horses mostly). And even he would tell me to end the pigeon's life.

Usually my knowledge is extensive enough to know what's wrong with a bird, but right now I'm stunned.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
OK, will wait for photos, don't forget to answer the questions I asked. Be careful with the heat lamp as they can overheat a bird if too close, try and angle things so the bird has a place to get away from the heat if it desires.

Karyn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hen is not gasping for breath. Their actually quite happy, except they can't walk or stand.

I've had experience with a heat lamp thankfully:D. Raised many youngster with that thing and pulled a lot back from the brink of death.

·
Registered
864 Posts
could it be pmv???
maybe something more neurological..
have they been chased .. scared ..
im very intersted to see whats wrong with them... hope we solve the puzzle..
vet's u'd think they care for all animals.. guess they proved they dont

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The hen is not gasping for breath. Their actually quite happy, except they can't walk or stand.

I've had experience with a heat lamp thankfully:D. Raised many youngster with that thing and pulled a lot back from the brink of death.
OK, glad to hear you have some experience that's helpful. Also, glad to hear your hen is/has not had labored breathing issues so far. When you say she has a "big belly" do you means her lower abdomen is distended (swollen out), if yes, can you push palpitate it gently with your fingers and try and judge if you think you are feel fluid inside or is it have a harder, less giving feel?.. you can also feel another hen for comparison, and report what you think you are feeling. Can you give a more precise age on her?

Karyn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.