Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent hours reading, calling experts, searching the web, and studying my local Cooper's hawks so my pigeons and hawks can work out a livable existance together. At this point it seemed to be working because I haven't lost a bird in over a month.

This evening, when leaving the house, My wife and I saw a beautiful moon faced Owl in the front yard. We still had two hours of daylight and there he was watching the loft. I have only seen an owl once in the wild and that was long ago. Today was a special treat, as he sat in the tree looking at us for a long time before he flew off. Man what a wing span! Beautiful bird, but now what do I do?

Got to love it,
Tony

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Owls seldom come out during the daylight, but when they have babies, or night time picking is slim, they'll do what they have to in order to eat. I doubt you'll have problems with them attacking your birds, but keep a good lookout. A lot of people have had owls enter their loft and kill many birds. The worst problem you'll have with them, is if you have a bird out overnight. That's when it gets real dangerous. You can usually tell if you've had an owl attack because the feather tufts will be under a tree, or leading to a tree. They knock the bird off the branch, catch them as they fall in the dark, and carry them over to another tree to eat. But I guess you can't blame them. They gotta eat something! :eek:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Owls seldom come out during the daylight, but when they have babies, or night time picking is slim, they'll do what they have to in order to eat. I doubt you'll have problems with them attacking your birds, but keep a good lookout. A lot of people have had owls enter their loft and kill many birds. The worst problem you'll have with them, is if you have a bird out overnight. That's when it gets real dangerous. You can usually tell if you've had an owl attack because the feather tufts will be under a tree, or leading to a tree. They knock the bird off the branch, catch them as they fall in the dark, and carry them over to another tree to eat. But I guess you can't blame them. They gotta eat something! :eek:
Good points. Luckly all my birds are trapped train and are in the loft before dark. I had called them in just ten minutes before to feed and all came home. So the owl might have been looking but my babies were locked up for the night. Still, beautiful bird!!! and he just sat there while we watched.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, they are very pretty :) And it's neat how their feathers are. The way they make them silent in flight. Was the owl that visited, a Barn Owl?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
without going into detail, I have a pair of Coopers that live about 500 yards away in the back of a neighbor's backyard. I know their cycle so my birds are in while they fly and out later in the day during nice days where food is all around for the hawks. On bad weather days, my birds stay locked up. The female hawk is sitting on the nest but will soon help the male feed the babies. Then I may lock my birds up for a while or just road train. During road training, my birds fly strait to the loft to eat so less chance of getting caught.

The owl just caught me off guard.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, they are very pretty :) And it's neat how their feathers are. The way they make them silent in flight. Was the owl that visited, a Barn Owl?
Not sure which type he is, still searching for a picture. I'll let you know when I find it.

Tony

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
seeing an owl is the most awsome thing...one came so close to me onetime I could not believe it happend after it did....was on a large property and was standing near the woods line, I had camo on so I blended in...I saw the owl on top of a pine tree, when I was just looking he lifted off in my direction gliding...soundless flight, he came right towards my face or head. I was face to face with this big eyed moon of a face for a second before I ducked down so he would not hit me, saw him go by...his face was so beautiful and mystisical....I thought to myself...did that just happen. the no sound of the wings is so cool. anyway, I think you will be ok with your pigeons, just keep them locked at night.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Big T,

Sounds like the owl may possibly be scoping out your loft as a possible food source, especially if any of your birds are viewable through windows or fly pens. Be on the safe side and if possible don't exercise your birds after 7 P.M. Like Mary said, you usually see them in the daytime when pickings are slim.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It has been a few years ago when I did alot of driving at nite, I would occasionaly see owls in the headlights of my truck, and there have been some close calls. I personally know of 2 drivers who had owls hit their windshield, broke the glass, and they were still alive and weren't in a very good mood. The driver pulled over and stopped, and went over to the passenger side, opened the door, and the owl managed to leave! I couldn't believe it. Man they are big birds, and when I saw them come out of the nite rite in front of my truck in the headlights, it is a little unnerving. They are big!!!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Not sure which type he is, still searching for a picture. I'll let you know when I find it.

Tony
Barn owls have a round white face, big black eyes, with white underparts and brown on back.
Considering you like in the South, it probably was a Barn owl. Other common ones down here are Barred Owls (cream with brown barring all over), Great Horned Owls (brown with ear tufts), and Screech owls, which are small and grey or red.

We had a family of Screech owls nesting in a box right outside our kitchen window once. Dad was a grey phase and mom was a red phase :) Very pretty. All the babies looked like their dad though. When they started weaning off the babies, they fell quite a ways to the ground or fluttered to nearby low fruit trees. I was lucky enough to get to carry one of the babies across the creek to the woods where the rest of the family was waiting :) I let him ago on a branch, and they all eventually made their away through the woods. It was really neat! And the babies are sooo adorable.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barn owls have a round white face, big black eyes, with white underparts and brown on back.
Considering you like in the South, it probably was a Barn owl.
Other common ones down here are Barred Owls (cream with brown barring all over), Great Horned Owls (brown with ear tufts), and Screech owls, which are small and grey or red.

We had a family of Screech owls nesting in a box right outside our kitchen window once. Dad was a grey phase and mom was a red phase :) Very pretty. All the babies looked like their dad though. When they started weaning off the babies, they fell quite a ways to the ground or fluttered to nearby low fruit trees. I was lucky enough to get to carry one of the babies across the creek to the woods where the rest of the family was waiting :) I let him ago on a branch, and they all eventually made their away through the woods. It was really neat! And the babies are sooo adorable.
As usual, Becky, you are right. That is what he looked like, beautiful bird. Didn't see him today, but heard a hoot owl at five this morning, was that my boy?

Tony

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The place where I can only see owls is at the zoo here!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The place where I can only see owls is at the zoo here!
And I am sorry, I too have seen them in the zoo. But something about seeing life in the wild, living and surviving on their own. It is a beautiful thing.

God Bless,
Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts