Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a baby pigeon this past Monday in Brooklyn NY under an overpass of the Brooklyn Queens expressway. It was in the street and I shooed it on to the sidewalk after it almost got sideswiped by a city bus. I was watching it for a while when I noticed a feral cat with its eye on it and ready to grab it. I brought it into my car and brought it with me into my job and took it home with me where I live in Long Island.

I have been keeping it in a box with the top open on my back step which has an awning (I cover the top of the box half way at night). I take it out of the box when I am home and it hangs out on the back step. (My whole yard is fenced in). It drinks on its own and I have been giving it thawed peas and corn an few times a day which it eats on its own. I have wild bird seed out, but I am not sure if it is eating the seeds. It pecks at the seed but I don't know if any are getting eaten. The bird is not flyng yet and is fine except for a slight limp.

I am going away for a few days on Thursday and I don't think it will be ready to be left alone by then. I can have my parents watch it, but that would involve bringing it to their home and I am not sure it will be as safe ouside at their home as it would be at mine.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I do with the bird when I am away or does anyone know someone who can take the bird at least when I am away for a few days.

I am in Long Island, Suffolk County (New York)

Dawn

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

There is a New York City feral pigeon rescue Yahoo Group NYCPRC, a lot of the members also belong to this forum but it might be worth joining and cross posting. The is also Pigeon People

1 - 2 of 2 Posts