Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have a dove with trichomoniasis - she's not doing super great, she closes her eyes often, not very energetic, doesn't eat but I force feed her.

I took her to the vet and she's meant to get a daily dose of Flagyl (Metronidazole) for 5 days, but I've heard from some pigeon expert friends that I should use Pantrix (Carnidazol) instead because it's way better.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on that and my vet didn't know Pantrix so she got Flagyl. She got her first dose just now, 0.26 ml a day.

I wanted to ask, which one do you prefer? Is it a known thing that one works better than the other?

Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello there, my two doves had trichomoniasis when I got them at the start of this year. The vet prescribed Metronidazole (Flagyl), which I gave them via syringe daily for 7 days, and when I took them back to the vet after that, he checked and they were all clear. So the Metronidazole definitely worked for them.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
What is the dosage you are giving? How much mg? I've read that Spartrix (Carnidazole) is a better option, but we don't get that in our country. 5 days treatment is a bit short, you might have to do 7 to 10 days. Can you see the yellow growths in her throat? I think if you don't see improvement after 5 days, try to get Spartrix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the dosage you are giving? How much mg? I've read that Spartrix (Carnidazole) is a better option, but we don't get that in our country. 5 days treatment is a bit short, you might have to do 7 to 10 days. Can you see the yellow growths in her throat? I think if you don't see improvement after 5 days, try to get Spartrix.
I give 0.26 ml daily - she weighs 130 grams. Yes, yellow growth is visible. it's been 2 days now, she still has a lot of mucus and breathes very heavily / looks like she constantly swallows. I'm a bit worried because I've heard so much how Carnidazole is way better. Is it possible to change to Carnidazole tonight and stop the Flagyl treatment?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello there, my two doves had trichomoniasis when I got them at the start of this year. The vet prescribed Metronidazole (Flagyl), which I gave them via syringe daily for 7 days, and when I took them back to the vet after that, he checked and they were all clear. So the Metronidazole definitely worked for them.
how bad were they? my dove has yellow growth inside the throat, she has a lot of mucus, she constantly swallows and seems to breathe a bit heavy (not with open beak, but I see her chest lift when she breathes).

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I give 0.26 ml daily - she weighs 130 grams. Yes, yellow growth is visible. it's been 2 days now, she still has a lot of mucus and breathes very heavily / looks like she constantly swallows. I'm a bit worried because I've heard so much how Carnidazole is way better. Is it possible to change to Carnidazole tonight and stop the Flagyl treatment?
Yes you can. Some canker strains are resistant to some meds, so you can change. Normally the dosage for metro is 10 mg per 100 gr birdweight. You don't know how much mg he is receiving?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hi, I am used to treat canker with carnidazole.

Based on my own experience it usually works well (even in these last days we treated and released a youngster with canker).
I like it also because it is very safe for birds (even if birds are treated with 32 times the proper recommended dose, birds don't die).
I have never used metrodinazole but I read that it could have strong side effects. In my experience I have never seen side effects with spartrix.

Have you noticed if the growths have started to cover the breathing hole?

If you feel comfortable in doing that and if your dove allows you to do that (I know that doves hate being handled so don't do that if she seems too stressed and agitated) you can apply (with a small q-tip) some lemon juice on the growths.
I'm also used to apply povidone iodine as additional canker treatment. If you want to give a look at the method here I explained everything about it (but, as I said, don't do that if your bird gets too agitated, scared and stressed) :

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I am used to treat canker with carnidazole.

Based on my own experience it usually works well (even in these last days we treated and released a youngster with canker).
I like it also because it is very safe for birds (even if birds are treated with 32 times the proper recommended dose, birds don't die).
I have never used metrodinazole but I read that it could have strong side effects. In my experience I have never seen side effects with spartrix.

Have you noticed if the growths have started to cover the breathing hole?

If you feel comfortable in doing that and if your dove allows you to do that (I know that doves hate being handled so don't do that if she seems too stressed and agitated) you can apply (with a small q-tip) some lemon juice on the growths.
I'm also used to apply povidone iodine as additional canker treatment. If you want to give a look at the method here I explained everything about it (but, as I said, don't do that if your bird gets too agitated, scared and stressed) :

Thank you so much for the tips! So I think I will switch to carbidazole tonight - what dose do you recommend? She weighs 130 Grams. I have the pills and someone said half a pill daily should be fine.
I
The growth don’t cover her breathing holes, but they are visible.

Today I was quite happy with her, she was a bit more active and even ate some grains herself! I will continue to feed her some Harrison though. I still notice some difficulties breathing and a lot of swallowing

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes you can. Some canker strains are resistant to some meds, so you can change. Normally the dosage for metro is 10 mg per 100 gr birdweight. You don't know how much mg he is receiving?
I’m not sure what mg it is, my vet always fills the meds in a little bottle only with the name. But she said it’s quite a strong dose. I think she’s been a bit better today, she was more active, she ate some grains herself but she still has some breathing difficulties and mucus. Would you still recommend switching to carnidazole tonight and if yes would half a pill be appropriate? Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
If you see improvement, stick to the meds you are using now. Check inside her beak every day (easier with a flashlight). If you see the growths getting smaller, then the meds are working. Side effects of metro if getting overdosed will show as neurological issues.

We don't get carnidazole in our country, so can't give advice reg the dosage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you see improvement, stick to the meds you are using now. Check inside her beak every day (easier with a flashlight). If you see the growths getting smaller, then the meds are working. Side effects of metro if getting overdosed will show as neurological issues.

We don't get carnidazole in our country, so can't give advice reg the dosage.
Okay, I will continue the recommended 5 days then. We don’t get it either in our country but I have friends who work with a lot of rescue pigeons and order it online. But their half a pill was for pigeons and the Dove is a bit smaller. Anyways, I will continue with The other one. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thank you so much for the tips! So I think I will switch to carbidazole tonight - what dose do you recommend? She weighs 130 Grams. I have the pills and someone said half a pill daily should be fine.
I
The growth don’t cover her breathing holes, but they are visible.

Today I was quite happy with her, she was a bit more active and even ate some grains herself! I will continue to feed her some Harrison though. I still notice some difficulties breathing and a lot of swallowing

Okay, I will continue the recommended 5 days then. We don’t get it either in our country but I have friends who work with a lot of rescue pigeons and order it online. But their half a pill was for pigeons and the Dove is a bit smaller. Anyways, I will continue with The other one. Thank you!
You're welcome.

Agree, as you have started metrodinazole treatment and as she is improving (which is a good sign) I would continue too to give her the same med.

Spartrix directions for use say to give a whole tablet to adult pigeons and half a tablet to young pigeons (even if usually I give a whole tablet even to young pigeons as suggested also here on PT).

Adult doves are definitely smaller than adult pigeons so I think that half a tablet is ok.
I used many times spartrix for pigeons but only once for doves and I gave too half a tablet.

Anyway, in this case I would continue with metrodinazole.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're welcome.

Agree, as you have started metrodinazole treatment and as she is improving (which is a good sign) I would continue too to give her the same med.

Spartrix directions for use say to give a whole tablet to adult pigeons and half a tablet to young pigeons (even if usually I give a whole tablet even to young pigeons as suggested also here on PT).

Adult doves are definitely smaller than adult pigeons so I think that half a tablet is ok.
I used many times spartrix for pigeons but only once for doves and I gave too half a tablet.

Anyway, in this case I would continue with metrodinazole.
Two things, first, I think I might have a problem, I think the vet only gave me 4 days of Flagyl treatment. I have no idea how that could have happened :( They always fill the doses in small bottles but I just realised that there should be two doses left but it doesn't look like two. It's one and maybe a little bit. It wouldn't be a problem but I'm on vacation, 3 hours from home and it's weekend so I don't know if I can find someone to prescribe more. In that case, would it be okay to start with half a pill of carnidazole on day 5? I have the pills with me in case the flagyl didn't work.

Also to explain the story, the dove (her name is Simone btw) is one of the doves that has been coming to my lemon tree for a while. However, she was the one who wouldn't fly away when I come outside and we even got to the point that she would let me touch her feathers. Obviously now I'm wondering if she was just sick and not feeling so well but she also seems quite young, maybe she got used to me a little? She would sit in the trees for hours and come a couple of times a day and I would always talk to her.

on Wednesday, the day before I was going on vacation, I saw her sitting in the tree and she didn't react to me so I climbed up and grabbed her. So the only option was for me to take her because unfortunately there aren't any places here in Portugal that I would trust.

Here is a video of her before she was very sick: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
If you can find a petshop that sells aquarium equipment: Try to get Fishzole. It's the same thing as metro and always good to have extra at home just for in case. Give him about 15 mg once a day.

The carnidazole: Yes, if you can't get metro, continue with that. But he is so small, give 1/4 of a tablet.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is an old thread about spartrix dosage, it can help you to decide about dosage:

Our member wrote : "Just small addition - allways give whole tablet no matter young, old, small or big.
Spartrix is safe for birds and overdose in pigeons is on 600 mg. 10 mg is safe even for babies" .

As I wrote earlier carnidazole is very safe for birds. I attach an avian formulary where they say:

"Birds did not develop any signs of toxicity even when treated with 640 mg/kg (32 times
the therapeutic dose)".

I also attach a pic of directions for use (I'm sorry, it's in French language).

Following advices given here on PT I am used to give a whole tablet even to young pigeons. I have never seen any side effects.

I watched the video and she seems an adult (she has the necklace. The beak seems dark in color like the one of an adult). Female adult (because of the weight).
Of course, I can't tell for sure her age (I mean I can't tell if she is a young adult just developed or a bit older) but probably young.

Regarding dove dosage I gave half a tablet to an adult male dove.

Here is a link about drugs dosage.
For collared dove they say "5mg or 10mg if infected"

Have you asked for an opinion about dosage for doves to your rescue friends?

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
how bad were they? my dove has yellow growth inside the throat, she has a lot of mucus, she constantly swallows and seems to breathe a bit heavy (not with open beak, but I see her chest lift when she breathes).
The vet assessed my doves’ case of the illness as not very bad. I never checked for growths, as I was really just taking them for a first check-up after bringing them home from the breeder. But I didn’t notice any breathing difficulties. All I noticed was that once they had finished the treatment, they were able to ingest bigger seeds. They hadn’t been displaying any Sick Bird signs, so it can’t have been a bad case. So yeah, perhaps the Metro wouldn’t have been as effective if they’d been badly afflicted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is an old thread about spartrix dosage, it can help you to decide about dosage:

Our member wrote : "Just small addition - allways give whole tablet no matter young, old, small or big.
Spartrix is safe for birds and overdose in pigeons is on 600 mg. 10 mg is safe even for babies" .

As I wrote earlier carnidazole is very safe for birds. I attach an avian formulary where they say:

"Birds did not develop any signs of toxicity even when treated with 640 mg/kg (32 times
the therapeutic dose)".

I also attach a pic of directions for use (I'm sorry, it's in French language).

Following advices given here on PT I am used to give a whole tablet even to young pigeons. I have never seen any side effects.

I watched the video and she seems an adult (she has the necklace. The beak seems dark in color like the one of an adult). Female adult (because of the weight).
Of course, I can't tell for sure her age (I mean I can't tell if she is a young adult nearly developed or a bit older) but probably young.

Regarding dove dosage I gave half a tablet to an adult male dove.

Here is a link about drugs dosage.
For collared dove they say "5mg or 10mg if infected"

Have you asked for an opinion about dosage for doves to your rescue friends?
I think she is pretty young, yes. Probably a young adult. My friends said half a pill. I will give her that tonight because I ran out of Metro - today it should be the last day of metro. But honestly she’s doing really great, ate by herself, seems almost normal again but still has some growth in her throat so I will continue with 7 days of half a pill of pantrix. Do you think that’s okay? Thanks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Glad to hear that she is doing really great!!!

Yes, I think half a pill is ok, it's the dosage I used too.

Do you mean 7 days in total (4 days of metro plus 3 days of spartrix) or other 7 days of spartrix in addition to the 4 days of metro?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear that she is doing really great!!!

Yes, I think half a pill is ok, it's the dosage I used too.

Do you mean 7 days in total (4 days of metro plus 3 days of spartrix) or other 7 days of spartrix in addition to the 4 days of metro?
I’m not sure, how long am I supposed to do it? She really seems very active, so will be 3 days of spartix enough if all the white parts are gone? Should I then keep her for a couple more days to see if she really is okay and then release?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yes, I would give it for three days and see if all growths are gone.
If yes, I would keep her for some more days, maybe a week (just to be sure...). During this time you can give her vitamins to help her to get stronger before releasing her back in the garden.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts