Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes, I would give it for three days and see if all growths are gone.
If yes, I would keep her for some more days, maybe a week (just to be sure...). During this time you can give her vitamins to help her to get stronger before releasing her back in the garden.
So yesterday was the third day of Spantrix, she seems to be doing great! I also noticed some loose canker parts, I guess they started to fall off? So just to be sure, today I will not give her anything but I will keep her for another few days to make sure everything is gone? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So yesterday was the third day of Spantrix, she seems to be doing great! I also noticed some loose canker parts, I guess they started to fall off? So just to be sure, today I will not give her anything but I will keep her for another few days to make sure everything is gone? Thank you!
What a great news!

Yes, keep her for a few more days before releasing her. Just to be sure that everything is ok!

Great job 👍☺!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi! How is Simone doing? Did you release her back in the garden?
She is doing great! She’s cooing now every morning. I haven’t released her because her feces changed a bit, it’s more liquid than it was previously and a bit green. Today I’m dropping it off at the vet to get it tested and wait until I have the results… so if everything is okay she will be released. She’s very keen to go so I hope everything is good!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Let us know the results of test!
I hope too that everything is ok!

Maybe it's just a bit of stress (added to meds). Try some probiotics, they could help in case of intestinal flora disorder originated by stress

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I will! Do you think it’s okay if I put a ring on her? I was planning to do that so I can recognize her better. I was wondering if there is anything bad about it like danger of getting stuck or something. But I’ve noticed most people put rings on the pigeons they’ve rescued & released…

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Before covid I bought some plastic clip pigeon rings but I have never used them so honestly I don't know if there could be any potential danger or discomfort.

Just to be sure you could try to put one on her while she is still with you. This way you will be able to monitor her and see if you notice any issue (like getting stuck somewhere, cuts, blood circulation problems, etc).

When I bought them there were different sizes available, choose the right one.

Let us know about the results of test.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Before covid I bought some plastic clip pigeon rings but I have never used them so honestly I don't know if there could be any potential danger or discomfort.

Just to be sure you could try to put one on her while she is still with you. This way you will be able to monitor her and see if you notice any issue (like getting stuck somewhere, cuts, blood circulation problems, etc).

When I bought them there were different sizes available, choose the right one.

Let us know about the results of test.
Regarding the rings, the ones I got seem way too big for her. She's wearing it now but I will take it off before I release her. I will see if I can find smaller ones or just not put one on....

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So the dove tested positive for Cestodes - She gets treatment but will need to stay for two more weeks because the second dose is after 2 weeks :(
Regarding the rings, the ones I got seem way too big for her. She's wearing it now but I will take it off before I release her. I will see if I can find smaller ones or just not put one on....
Fortunately you did the test! Thanks to your diligence she will be completely healthy when you will release her!
Btw, if you have a product for external parasites I would treat her before releasing her.

Of course, as the ring is not the right size take it off.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey there!

I have a funny update for you. Yesterday I was talking to a friend who I would definitely call a pigeon expert, she's rescued many pigeons and doves and usually gives me advice, but she's had a stressful life recently which is why I went on this forum so I wouldn't bother her.

We caught up with things and I told her about the dove and how funny the story was, that she was so friendly compared to the other doves and would sit in my tree for hours. Also, how lucky it was that I found her sick in the tree one day before I went on vacation.

She loves doves so she asked me if it was a laughing dove or a collared dove? We used German words but I think these are the correct English words for it. I didn't even know there was a difference but after learning about it I was sure she is a laughing dove.

My friend explained me that if she is a laughing dove she's not meant to be out there, that they are usually hold as pets because they are very drawn to humans and maybe also they are just not common where I live? I live in the city center in Lisbon, Portugal and even having doves around here is a bit weird. I've been feeding them for almost over a year now and I'v never seem them anywhere else in the city. They are also never on the ground like pigeons.

Then I connected the dots, because Simone (that's how I called her) was always coming to just stay in my tree for hours and watch us. The other doves would come to eat and then leave. Simone would let me get very close and not be afraid, the others fly away as soon as they see me. Also, now that I know the difference of the sounds they make I noticed that the others are collared doves while Simone as the typical laughing dove coo....

The hole time I thought me handling her meant stress for her so I tried to not touch her a lot, but yesterday I wanted to test it and it seems like she's tame?! I took her out in a room and she would just lay down in my hand, I scratched her ears and she leaned into it. Here is a video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

I honestly don#t know where she's coming from, if she was a pet she would have had a ring? Also it's very unusual for people in Portugal to have pigeons or doves as a pet. I'm pretty shocked but it's also so magical, but I don't think she is releasable? Please let me know your opinion. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the differences of doves but I was told that a "real" wild dove would never let me handle her like that.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
She looks very tame and domesticated. Most birds kept in captivity does not get ringed, only racing pigeons. Please don't release her, rather keep her. She looks happy and content lying like that.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes, there are many different doves. Times ago I read a lot about them because I was curious but honestly it's not very easy to distinguish them...😅.

Your friend is maybe talking about "Streptopelia decaocto" (the collared doves that usually live in our cities) and "Streptopelia roseogrisea risoria" (the domesticated collared doves available in different colors)?
From what I understood (if I'm not wrong... 🙄) the main difference is the song (one of my vets has them and effectively they sing in a different way). Online they say that there are even other small differences (for example tail feathers).
Give a look at this forum (it's in French language but you can watch the pics) so you can compare Simone with the birds in the pics:

This is another resource "Atlas of doves" but it's in Italian language:

That said, in all cases she seems very sweet and tame (as you said maybe she was a pet and accidentally escaped from an open window... Who knows her story...). I would adopt her 😁.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you! So after comparing the tail feathers and her song she's definitely a "laughing dove" - Spilopelia senegalensis - at least that's how I categorised her with the help of google. I'm so confused by all the different kinds. She hasn't done the "laugh" but the typical coo that they do before or after it, not the coo that collared doves do?! When they came to my tree I thought they were all the same, but now I realised they have a different song compared to Simone. Maybe she was just following them and then found my tree.

Today I spend some more time with her and tried to bond more but she's really tame, she even sat on my shoulder, she's not afraid at all. So she will stay with me, releasing her would be horrible and even if I would do that she would probably just sit in the tree all the time. I really like her, I did from the moment she came to my tree. So maybe she purposely chose her new home? 😁

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm very glad to hear that you decided to adopt her 😁! Probably you are right, she chose her new home!!!

Yes, as I said it seems very complicated to distinguish and recognize all the different kinds of doves 🤔🙄... I have never seen laughing doves here but from pics I saw online it seems that they don't have a necklace..? If I remember well in one of your old videos (the one on tree) I saw the necklace on Simone? I remember that I read in an Italian forum about hybrids, I mean doves born from different types of doves... 🤔

In all cases, the most important thing is that you found each other 😁!!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts