Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My Name is Gaurav chaudhary, i am from new delhi india and i have 2 pairs of fancy pigeons. ill try to post the pics tomorrow. but i need help with one of my first pair who is on there babies. my male pigeon showing signs of PMV but i dont think it is as, i have very few birds and none of them are infected with any virus or disease before. The bird starts to turn its neck upside down today in the morning and had crash landing, its poop is green with watery not solid. the pair just had babies which are around 7 days old and they both taking good care of them as these are my first pair of babies i dont want my pair to loose there father :(.

please help as soon as possible. and i have read all the topics related to pmv and i will try to isolate the bird in the morning as soon as possible cause i dont have place to keep it alone right now.
I think these symptoms are due to shock as my other male keeps on running behind this guy and hits him all the time on his head and chase him down everywhere until he gets into his nest. he wont let him eat or do anything when he is out (i think he is over protective for his hen). Can anyone suggest me something.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Have you read this thread on PMV-please do, check the symptoms?:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=12248

Please do isolate this bird as well as the others, in a stress free quiet environment with subdued light. You will need to hand feed the bird if he is not eating.

If this is trauma due to injury you can give the bird arnica montana-a holistic treatment for neurological issues, calcium/magnesium and B complex vitamins are extremely helpful for neurological issues also.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hellow Gaurav, welcome to Pigeon Talk.

To start with, please remove the other pair from the cage or loft immediately. How big is your cage? It sounds to me like the pigeons don't think it is large enough for two pairs of pigeons and that's why the other male is attacking your cock that has babies.

Your sick bird could have PMV but "stargazing" can also indicate salmonellosis/paratyphoid. Do you have any medications on hand? How is the hen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply

Hi,

Thankyou very much for the reply, yes i have already read that article about PMV and also both the pair have there own seprate boxes for living, they are big enough for 2 birds in each box. the hen and chicks are looking fine as i take my all 4 pigeons out in morning and let them out whole day.i dont like my pigeons to be prisoners at all. they do not run away or fly much just sit on roof whole day. as they are fancy breeds not flyer types i think. (the pCock which has problem looks almost like Lahore accept they are not lahore)

I change the cock and hen to get into the nest to feed babies as when they like to take place by themselves. the cock is eating by himself no need to hand feed him till now, as today only i figured out that he is showing problem with his neck, he was having crash landing from few days. i do not have any medicine in hand only butox which is used for ticks, flees etc.i dont know which medicine to give as i am not in US. can u please tell me any home treatment as i know u may not be famelier with any indian medicine.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It's hard to determine what you need since we don't have a diagnosis, but IF it is PMV only good supportive care as in the thread. Calcium and other minerals as well as B -complex will help with neurological issues. Garlic caps will help with the immune system, if you don't have any, crush a clove of garlic to a gallon water and give it to them all. I give all my rehab birds a drop of Neem oil, and a drop of colloidal silver down the throat. You can also give Reishi as it is very benficial.

IF this is paratyphoid the birds will need an anitibotic medicine, like Baytril.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics of my pigeon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i took some pic of my pigeons right now and i have isolated the male which was not well, he is not moving is neck upside down now but seems like he is disoriented when he tried to fly. He move's his neck side ways to see where he wants to go not straight.

I put a clove of garlic in the water, and give extra mix grains with rice today.ill try to get B-complex today and give him a dose of him.. He also have lost some amount of weight and size from the past month.

if any other suggestion would be appricated. i dont wna loose my pigeon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Your pigeons are lovely--they look a little like my Taganrog Tumblers, though yours have muffed feet. What breed are they?

So is the hen feeding the chick alone now? It's good you got some garlic and B-complex for the male, but he should be on antibiotics too. Baytril is the medication of choice if he has paratyphoid. If PMV then antibiotics won't help but you may be able to nurse him through it with good supportive care. If you can't get Baytril can you get Cipro? It's basically the same drug, but for humans. Those are both brand names. It's actual name is enrofloxacin.

Did you take the aggressive male out of the cage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.