Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep a small flock a half dozen homers. One become ill and died. I disposed of the bird and the next day I came down with a horrible fever, etc... that led to a diagnosis of psittacosis by my local hospital which was confirmed by my blood work. It took a week of anti-biotics to get over it. Since this time two weeks ago, all but one of my birds have died.

I am not sure what to do next. Is there something I can do to save or protect the last bird? Is there something I should do to the coop? I want to rebuild my flock with new birds but now I am afraid to. Any ideas on how to handle this situation in general would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Usually, everyone exposed (birds and people alike) are treated with Doxycycline (Vibramycin) as weekly injections for a period of 45 days. You might have gotten a newer drug like Azithromycin. In the US and other places, Chlamydophila is a "reportable" disease and you get to be friends with the CDC. We don't see this very often (thank goodness!) but it's serious when it occurs. Anyhow, Baytril will reduce the symptoms but will not clear the carrier state--for that you usually use the Doxycycline although another Tetracycline can be used in a pinch to carry you until you can get the Doxycycline.

Pidgey

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi utjeeper and welcome!

If you still have one bird surviving, that's pretty amazing. It usually kills them within about 72 hours of the symptoms showing.

Were you given Ciprofloxacin or another antibiotic?

You need to really, really, really disinfect your loft/coop with something like Virkon or a similar product or just destroy it and start over .. that's ASSuming it really is/was psittacosis.

As to the surviving bird, I would get it out of wherever the others perished and into a completely clean, sterile environment. I would need to do some research as to whether this surviving bird is a carrier or not.

Terry

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
In people, the standard drugs used are: Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Azithromycin, Erythromycin and Rifampin. I'm kinda' surprised they used the Cipro...

Anyhow, if the bird was taking his last breaths, then you might not have the time to treat but if he's in pretty good shape then I'd start him on the Doxycycline as soon as possible. If I had to order it in, I'd start with Baytril or a Tetracycline from a feed store if possible. Actual dosages would have to depend on what formulation was available, of course.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was given Doxycycline for a period of 10 days which did the trick. I was flat on my back for a week and two days in the hospital with 104 deg. fever. The Psittacosis was confirmed by an out of state lab & CDC, since no local labs knew how to test for it.

So it sound like I should just start over by torching my coop. I am only into it about $100. I do not want my kids to get this bug.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
They may have straight Tetracycline, Aureomycin (Chlortetracycline) or Terramycin (Oxytetracycline), they won't have Doxycyline, or Baytril either. Get straight Tetracycline if you can.

Pidgey

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi utjeeper,

Sorry to hear all this...

But yeah...'Doxyclyine', if you want to use it...your MD or Vet would have it...and or Mail Order from any of various Animal Supply or Fish-Aquarium Supply or Pigeon Supply places. E-bay might have it...

Jedds as three kinds -

http://www.jedds.com/SubCategory.asp?MainCategoryID=33

I used to have a 1946 CJ and I sure loved it...had 700-16 ( old ) 'Non-Directionals' on it...looked very earnest...Peppy for around town too, and great for pulling others out of a ditch or sand-bog...used to fold the Windshield down and carry huge amounts of Lumber with it for Carpentry Jobs too...strapped down...was always a joy.

Wish I still had it...

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.