Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A cat attacked a cock pigeon in my hands. I was scared at once. The cat caught the pigeon for about 20 seconds only. Then thank god my dog attacked the cat and cat was not able to jump the fence and pigeon drops. But the pigeon have two deep teeth holes under his wings. I washed them and apply betadine. The pigeon ate some seeds yesterday evening but today he is sick,dont eat. When i dip his beak in water he drink a LOT of water. But then all water started to came out of his beak.
How can i help him?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Unfortunately, unless a bird can be given the correct anti-bacterial medication the wounds are likely to be infected and the infection spreads into the bird's system. At that point, recovery is doubtful.

Ideally you would need what we know as Synulox, Clavamox or Kesium here (this is Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid). Baytril is another possibility.

If the wounds are deep it is possible something vital is damaged, too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying John_D

Is Betadine not good cream. I have enrofloxacyn. Do I fill the wound holes with it? Ok I will do it

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi,
A cat attacked a cock pigeon in my hands. I was scared at once. The cat caught the pigeon for about 20 seconds only. Then thank god my dog attacked the cat and cat was not able to jump the fence and pigeon drops. But the pigeon have two deep teeth holes under his wings. I washed them and apply betadine. The pigeon ate some seeds yesterday evening but today he is sick,dont eat. When i dip his beak in water he drink a LOT of water. But then all water started to came out of his beak.
How can i help him?
Hi...
Thank Goodness the cock escaped from cat's jaws. The bird needs to given antibiotics ASAP!!! as has been advised. Enrofloxacin needs to be given orally means via mouth at dose of 8-10mg per day for atleast 5-7 days depending on severity of infection cause I think that infection has set in inside your bird. On first day you can give him double the dose viz. 15-18 mg then continue with normal dosage.
Please keep him handfed so that he don't starve and med work on him.

Did you check the entire body of the bird? Cats have four cannines. She must have picked up using all four,if two have penetrated,did you check for injuries that might have caused by the other two teeth? Please give a gentle thorough check up for any cuts/injuries cuz those enormous feathers can hide some

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your help.
I'm very happy to inform that my cock pigeon is showing some improvement. He don't eat but drink on his own without my help. The water don't come out from his beak. I gave enrofloxacin yesterday and he is some better now. You people are lifesavers

One question please. Do i clean his wound daily?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Did you give him antibiotics, it's crucial?

If he is not eating, he is not improving. Make sure to force feed if he is not eating or eating much, because that will bring him down. He needs the nutrients too

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you skyeking for link and reply

Yes i give him enrofloxacyn yesteray on dose advised by jass samoplay. He is not as fluffy as yesterday. he opens eyes sometimes and drink on his own. I think enrofloxacyn is working on him.

In link its advised for med to be given for week. Should i give for week or more or less?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you skyeking for link and reply

Yes i give him enrofloxacyn yesteray on dose advised by jass samoplay. He is not as fluffy as yesterday. he opens eyes sometimes and drink on his own. I think enrofloxacyn is working on him.

In link its advised for med to be given for week. Should i give for week or more or less?
Thanks again
I would give per what jass advised.. BUT you did not mention that you have hand feeding him, and that is just as important to his survival as the antibiotics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi...
Thank Goodness the cock escaped from cat's jaws. The bird needs to given antibiotics ASAP!!! as has been advised. Enrofloxacin needs to be given orally means via mouth at dose of 8-10mg per day for atleast 5-7 days depending on severity of infection cause I think that infection has set in inside your bird. On first day you can give him double the dose viz. 15-18 mg then continue with normal dosage.
Please keep him handfed so that he don't starve and med work on him.

Did you check the entire body of the bird? Cats have four cannines. She must have picked up using all four,if two have penetrated,did you check for injuries that might have caused by the other two teeth? Please give a gentle thorough check up for any cuts/injuries cuz those enormous feathers can hide some
Thank you for replying and advice. Is enrofloxacyn for cows okay for my pigeons?

I checked the bird and yes there is other small cut too on opposite side.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would give per what jass advised.. BUT you did not mention that you have hand feeding him, and that is just as important to his survival as the antibiotics.
The cock pigeon was throwing water out of beak yesterday so i fed him 25 peas one by one. After that he open his mouth wide for air and was struggling and water came out so i stopped. I fed him again today about 25 peas but after that he refuse to take more. He may vomit so i stopped.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm glad he showed improvement. Keep up with him and keep hand feeding him forcefully. If your feeding him peas he don't need (much) water. More water will also wash the med out. Keep feeding him as much as he can take. If he vomits you may need to try formula because he needs to be fed.

Every cut,bruise or injury needs to cleaned and applied with antibiotic cream. Yes oral enrofloxacyn is same so is okay to be used on pigeons.
Keep us updated. Hope he gets well soon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy update.
The cock pigeon is fine now. He eats on his own and become active. New feathers have come in. Sorry the pic donot show the wound which is still a bit red but he has new feathers coming right on from where he was injured

He don't let me touch his wound. I think he still feel pain

1 - 16 of 16 Posts