Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

About two hours ago, I saw my neighbours cat drag a juvenile wood pigeon in it's mouth in my garden. I immediately scared the cat off and we brought the little pigeon inside the house out of danger and it's in a box and is warm. We've also left a bowl of water and peanuts for it.

I phoned the wildlife centre and the nearest place to take him is Surrey. We don't have a car so can't make it. Does anyone know of a place closer to West London who will rescue a juvenile wood pigeon? I'm in Hammersmith, West London.

He has teeth puncture wounds on his back and I don't think he can fly. :-( We are making sure he is warm and our sitting room is quiet for him.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi

Well done taking him in.

The wounds can be gently washed with a saline solution - warm mix of salt water would be OK - and a mild antiseptic gel applied, if possible.

It would be preferable to give him a rehydration/electrolyte mix rather than plain water. That's made up of 1 liter of water with 1 tablespoon of glucose (or honey or sugar) plus 1 teaspoon salt. Should be slightly warm.

Is it possible to post a pic to see how juvenile he is?

He really needs an antibiotic, as cat wound can be fatal if untreated, due to toxic bacteria. Synulox (Noroclav) is the one we would use. It's normally kept by vets for small animal use.

Will check if any other wildlife rescues around - don't know of any near you offhand.

How would you be placed to get the bird to a vet (obviously not tonight. now)? I know there is a good vet at Raynes Park:

Companion Care Raynes Park
Inside Pets at Home
80 Bushey Road
Raynes Park
London
SW20 0JQ

0208 946 2105

Ask for Retief Ehlers
Not sure about opening time tomorrow or whether the 'bird vet' is there on Sunday. Worth checking.

Obviously, if you can get him to a vet of your own knowledge, who will not just put him down, then fine.

Will check around if more info and back later.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
The nearest rescue place is probably the one you mentioned, then:

The Riverside Animal Centre
Beddington Park, Church Road,
Wallington SM6 7NN
T: 0208 647 6230
E: [email protected]
Which is, of course, not 'near'.

Also, if you have a heat pad or a hot water bottle, could you place (well wrapped so warm not hot) beneath the bird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the quick replies.

John, thanks for the details of the vet in Raynes Park. I will try and see if I can find transport to take him there and will phone them beforehand for details.

I've attached a couple of photos, sorry about the quality as I've taken them from my phone!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Water (hydration mix) and food

Thanks for pics. Looks about the age when he is, or on the verge of, self feeding.

It's sometimes difficult to know if they drink unaided, unless you have noticed a definite decrease in the volume you gave him. If it seems he isn't, his beak can be gently guided into the hydration mix, without submerging his nostrils, to see if he will drink (they suck up water unlike most birds). They can also be given it by dropping from a syringe into the front of the beak, head held level, but never by squirting (it could accidentally go into the windpipe).

If you have wild bird seed, that would probably be better than peanuts as he is young. If he show no sign of eating, you could try thawing some frozen peas and corn in hot water, and placing a few (just warm) in front of him. If he picks up some peas, that's good, otherwise they can be hand fed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow&feature=player_detailpage

They are gently pushed to the back of the mouth, towards the birds righthand side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

Just thought I would let you know the update on the pigeon.

We kept him in overnight and this morning he looked more perky. We fed him peas which he ate about 5 of and gave him some water. He took being hand fed better than we did!

When we confirmed he still can't fly and knowing he needs proper medical attention with experienced people, we contacted the helpline from the UK pigeon site and they gave us the details of a rescue centre called Riverside Animal Centre based in Wallington. We managed to get transport and we got someone to bring him to the rescue centre about an hour ago.
The rescue centre has just called to confirm they have received him and he looks in excellent condition! They have high hopes for him and said he will survive.

We can phone them for an update next Sunday.
I am so happy he will be ok. It's amazing how quickly a bond can be made as I now miss him! I was worried he wouldn't make the car journey in this heat but he seems to be a fighter.

Thank you all once again for all your advice. :)

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the update. Great news :)

Sounds like he will be a model patient. I'd guess they get quite a few in, so I expect him to thrive and be releasable in due course if no permanent damage affecting wings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts