Pigeon-Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yesterday, one of my cats brought in two live baby pigeons. He gave them to our new Lab puppy, seemingly as a welcome to the family gift.

The cat was remarkably gentle with the birds, each having only a small tooth wound.

They appear to be 10-12 days old? Here's a Dropbox link to pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tshnvt90mgfgo82/pigeons.jpg

They have had some water but I can't get them to eat. Yesterday, they were quiet. Today, they're very vocal. Probably hungry.

Here's everything I've done...

1. Locking cage on top of refrigerator, out of reach of dog and cats
2. Pet heating pad
3. Blanket over heating pad
4. Clean all wounds with saline water, once a day
5. Bactine, once a day
6. Neosporin, applied three times a day
7. Saucer of water
8. Hagen Hand-Feeding Bird Formula -- mixed with warm water into moldable clumps
9. Kaytee Wild Bird Seed - whole & put through juicer, which made the seeds into a fine powder

Tried leaving food in cage, tried syringe, tried hand feeding. They won't open their mouths and I don't want to force them. Like I said, they did drink some water out of a cup while holding them. And it looked like they had visited the saucer of water in the cage during the night.

Help? Thank you.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

Yesterday, one of my cats brought in two live baby pigeons. He gave them to our new Lab puppy, seemingly as a welcome to the family gift.

The cat was remarkably gentle with the birds, each having only a small tooth wound.

They appear to be 10-12 days old? Here's a Dropbox link to pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tshnvt90mgfgo82/pigeons.jpg

They have had some water but I can't get them to eat. Yesterday, they were quiet. Today, they're very vocal. Probably hungry.

Here's everything I've done...

1. Locking cage on top of refrigerator, out of reach of dog and cats
2. Pet heating pad
3. Blanket over heating pad
4. Clean all wounds with saline water, once a day
5. Bactine, once a day
6. Neosporin, applied three times a day
7. Saucer of water
8. Hagen Hand-Feeding Bird Formula -- mixed with warm water into moldable clumps
9. Kaytee Wild Bird Seed - whole & put through juicer, which made the seeds into a fine powder

Tried leaving food in cage, tried syringe, tried hand feeding. They won't open their mouths and I don't want to force them. Like I said, they did drink some water out of a cup while holding them. And it looked like they had visited the saucer of water in the cage during the night.

Help? Thank you.
baby pigeons don't open their beaks, they gulp food from INSIDE the parents mouth and eat what they regurgitate from the crop..the first week is pigeon "milk". so they have to be fed where they put their beaks into something not open their beak for food.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
MarkGrant,
Could you please tie a bell around your cat's neck. If you let her out and now that she got blood on her mouth she may try adult birds too.

Please force feed whether squabs like it or not unless they'll go down quickly.Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
thank you for taking care of these youngsters. How old are they now?

They do not recognize the cage and will not go near it. If you put them in the nest and are able to stand by and watch I would try it, but since a cat already got to them it will probably happen again. If you move the nest to a safe location, they may not go near it, but you can try-but never leave them alone.[

No the nest is not polluted in any way, they just don't recognize the cage that was there. If a cat got them once, it will happen again, or a dog, or snake. I just wouldn't put them back for that reason.

The parents may be near by and you can try to re-unite them for an hour or two per day as long as you are observing them.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reintroduction Part 2

Have been hand-feeding baby pigeons cat brought in for 1 week. Found the nest a couple of days ago and have been putting them in a few hours a day hoping the Mother comes back.

Today, Mother and Father came. Babies screaming. Mom flew into the nest area, was inside for 15 seconds then flew out. She and Dad flew away.

Can anyone explain this behavior?

Does anyone have experience reuniting babies and Mother after 1 week -- is it possible? Because if she pushes them out of the nest to their deaths I'd like to take them out.

Thank you.

Mark Grant
Venice, CA

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Mother and Father both flew into the nest (I can't see in) and haven't come out. Babies still crying but not as loud. They occasionally stop for a few seconds.

So, they weren't immediately pushed out. My question is now will they be taken care of or ignored?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
"Now will they be taken care of or ignored?"

Have they been fed after their encounter with parents? Could you check their little crops and see? That will tell if they have taken them back.

If not, take them in and hand feed.

I have moved all your threads together, as they are the same subject. We need to have the history so we can respond properly.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It appears as if the bigger, louder stronger one has been well fed. The other smaller one has been fed very little, if at all.

I will check back in the morning to see if this is till the case.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The best thing to do then, is to return the smaller baby first and allow it to eat, and then return the larger baby.

Please continue to supplement the smaller one if it is not getting fed enough, as it will loose strength and not be able to compete with the bigger one for food.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the nest this morning. Appears to be a happy ending.

Mom and Dad were in and around the nest. Mother cooing loudly and making a loud purring sound (?). Both babies were fed. I went ahead and fed the baby a bit as the crop wasn't full.

I'll look in the next couple of mornings but after that they should be fine.

Thank you for your help. I also put a bell on the cat as you suggested, as seen here:
http://s852.photobucket.com/user/markgrant_bucket/media/belledcat.jpg.html

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sad to report the smaller baby pigeon died during the night. No apparent cause. But compared to its sibling -- the whole week I had them -- it hardly grew.

The other is during very well. Feathers coming in, well fed. Can't wait to go fly and poop on something.

Also -- there's one new egg in the nest. For every ending, there's a beginning.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Get rid of the egg before it is incubated and any other egg laid. Please make that area unfriendly for pigeons to nest. It is already proved to be a danger to them and if you don't like the mess, please close off openings and any area that looks favorable for nesting. Thank you

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What? What the hell is wrong with you? If you bothered to read any of my posts, you would know the nest is secure.

My whole experience on this site has been next to no help at all. Why doesn't anyone else reply? Are you the only one with 'advice?' "Destroy the nest." God

Goodbye.
What the hell is wrong with you? You come here to ask for advice and you got it. WHY don't you REALLY READ my posts.

I never said DESTROY NEST, I said get rid of the egg before it is incubated, there is no life in it until incubation starts.

YOUR cat is the reason why the issue began in the first place.Destroying the egg/s will allow the birds to go elsewhere and nest in an area that is hopefully safer, once the other baby is grown!!!

GOODBYE and GOOD RIDDENS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.