Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, just need some opinions about this. can I use and is it safe to use cat litter (Maxx Scoop by Purina) as a nesting materials for our pigeons?

thanks in advance for the reply.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
hi guys, just need some opinions about this. can I use and is it safe to use cat litter (Maxx Scoop by Purina) as a nesting materials for our pigeons?

No, Cat litter is not good for pigeons.
How many birds do you have? Are they in a loft or cages?
I use corn cob bedding for mine. And sometimes pine shavings.
Depends on how many you have to be economical. Corn cob can get expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cat litter as a nesting material

No, Cat litter is not good for pigeons.
How many birds do you have? Are they in a loft or cages?
I use corn cob bedding for mine. And sometimes pine shavings.
Depends on how many you have to be economical. Corn cob can get expensive.

My pigeons are in individual breeding cages. I will use cat litter as a nesting material and not for bedding.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I would highly advise NOT using cat litter at all around pigeons becuase they are always pecking around in the nest moving the nesting material and adding to it.

As Msfreebird stated they are very likely to ingets it and this can lead to all sorts of health problems.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

the clay cat litter is excellent for nests or sweet pdz or stall dry for horse stall is great too, just about the same as cat litter, diatomaceous earth and clay particles is all it is. would not use the clumping cat litter because of in case of ingesting. I use both natural clay cat litter or the pdz for horse stalls and put some shavings on top and then let them build the nest with some sticks or pineneedles.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
:confused: LOL - So there you have it - completely different points of view :rolleyes:
I was told to never use cat litter.
good advice if it is the clumping kind... the natural clay litter is fine as well as the sweet pdz for horse stalls, believe me horse people are not going to put anything in with their very valuable horses that is not safe for them,,horse can have allergy problems and eat or nibble on the floor so it is a good product, as well as the natural clay cat litter as it is inert. I use this stuff all the time and my birds are not ill and are not stopped up...lol...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
good advice if it is the clumping kind... the natural clay litter is fine as well as the sweet pdz for horse stalls, believe me horse people are not going to put anything in with their very valuable horses that is not safe for them,,horse can have allergy problems and eat or nibble on the floor so it is a good product, as well as the natural clay cat litter as it is inert. I use this stuff all the time and my birds are not ill and are not stopped up...lol...
LOL, see why I love this forum. Always learning things contrary to what your taught. I don't doubt your experience in using it. And I'm curious now as to what others have to say about it. :confused:;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
LOL, see why I love this forum. Always learning things contrary to what your taught. I don't doubt your experience in using it. And I'm curious now as to what others have to say about it. :confused:;)
well I would say if somone does not want to put stock into what I do and know, then they may feel more comfortable just using diatomaceous earth, by itself, even though it is not as absorbant. :)

and a side note about sand, it holds moister but does not dry out, so I did not like using it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have always been told not to use cat litter lol
I personally use tobacco stems.
I also take all of my "junk" mail and shred it up in a paper shredder and toss a handfull in each nest box.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ed, you use the the stuff for horse stalls if I remember right...it's the same stuff as natural NONCLUMPING clay cat litter..so in a way you are using it, just not in the nest bowl but on the floor.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Oo I though they were asking about nest boxes only.
yes I use what is called Stall Dry.
I put a small layer down on the loft floor then cover that with corn cob.
It helps deodorize and keeps the moister down.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Ed, they seem quite content there :)

We use tobacco stalks too. They look like twigs, feel like twigs, and they help to keep the bugs out (so I've heard). They get very occupied in 'testing' the stems and picking and choosing which ones to use.

John

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Oh they LOVE the tobacco stems lol
I also found out how much they LOVE using milk crates as nest boxes LOL
I find my pigeons really prefer using cheaper materials then materials that cost me an arm and a leg... which I'm VERY happy about :D

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Ed...what kind of Pigeon is that in your last picture?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Not sure...
hes a new cock bird I got from a guy in my race club.
he paid 500 bucks for it and was going to "cull" it from his breeder team so I asked if I could have it.
I decided to try him out this year and see if him and a Yb hen that did pretty good last year will kick out winners.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't want to sound like a smart ass, but theres a reason they call certain things what they are, ie: cat litter, hamster food, Chicken starter.
...The reason's I would not use cat litter are for one there is too much dust. There are far better nesting material's.Go out into your yard and grab some unfertilized grass, pine needles, twig's.
As far as floor dressing, if you need to put something down, sand works great.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Don't want to sound like a smart ass, but theres a reason they call certain things what they are, ie: cat litter, hamster food, Chicken starter.
...The reason's I would not use cat litter are for one there is too much dust. There are far better nesting material's.Go out into your yard and grab some unfertilized grass, pine needles, twig's.
As far as floor dressing, if you need to put something down, sand works great.
natural clay cat litter comes with low or no dust... the old time cat litter and the cheap ones that do not mention the "no dust" may have some.... the stall dry or sweet pdz for horse stalls is dust free..we are talking about a product used around horses...they HAVE to be dust free. we are talking about an absorbant base to use in the bottom of the nest bowl not the nesting materials the birds use to make a nest with on top of it... these products are great to use with all the poop a squab produces. these are new ways of using something for the betterment of your birds and cleaner conditions... sand IMO is too moist from the humidity...which is a good enviroment for bacteria. the horse stall dry and or the sweet pdz for horse stalls make one of the best floor dressings around...you should try it before you knock it...and it is alot cheaper than belgium white...and you can buy it local. oh and my birds do get their own sticks and pine needles and make nesties on top of the litter. sometimes I add dust free pine shavings for horse stalls too, there has been alot of improvments from years past for dust free bedding and litter...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts