Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
natural clay cat litter comes with low or no dust... the old time cat litter and the cheap ones that do not mention the "no dust" may have some.... the stall dry or sweet pdz for horse stalls is dust free..we are talking about a product used around horses...they HAVE to be dust free. we are talking about an absorbant base to use in the bottom of the nest bowl not the nesting materials the birds use to make a nest with on top of it... these products are great to use with all the poop a squab produces. these are new ways of using something for the betterment of your birds and cleaner conditions... sand IMO is too moist from the humidity...which is a good enviroment for bacteria. the horse stall dry and or the sweet pdz for horse stalls make one of the best floor dressings around...you should try it before you knock it...and it is alot cheaper than belgium white...and you can buy it local. oh and my birds do get their own sticks and pine needles and make nesties on top of the litter. sometimes I add dust free pine shavings for horse stalls too, there has been alot of improvments from years past for dust free bedding and litter...
I stand, corrected. But please tell me why my cat would rather do her business next to our pine tree!?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I stand, corrected. But please tell me why my cat would rather do her business next to our pine tree!?
because she likes that spot better?....lol... or she has not been litter box trained?.... do not have cat ESP so that is the best I can do..lol..... mine likes my rose bed...:)

S

·
0 Posts
Many pick pots and pick stones made for pigeons to consume have clay in them so I would guess it's not bad for them. Clay litter for cats sometimes has additives like deodorizers that may be harmful if ingested so I'd be careful which one is used around birds.

Ed! That's a great idea! Shred the junk mail and use for bedding. I'll have to try that. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oo I though they were asking about nest boxes only.
yes I use what is called Stall Dry.
I put a small layer down on the loft floor then cover that with corn cob.
It helps deodorize and keeps the moister down.

Ed how often do you have to clean the loft using the stall dry & corn cob?
Sometimes in the winter when we get -0 wind chills I can't clean the loft as much as I'd like or put the birds out to clean, so dry stall might work for us.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I take all of the corn cob from the floor out twice a year , replace with a fresh bag and lay down some more stall dry.
About every 6 months give or take depending on my budget lol
I rake the corn cob and remove the big clumps of poop out every other day.

·
Registered
393 Posts
because she likes that spot better?....lol... or she has not been litter box trained?.... do not have cat ESP so that is the best I can do..lol..... mine likes my rose bed...:)
Glad you took it in the nature it was intentedl.lol. Cat's have a nature of there own, "come" means go, "sit" means run for the hill's.
She's half Maine coon, right now she's loving the snow...She look's at the birds, but that's it...She's my wife's cat, I repeat shes my wifes cat!

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
corn cob?

You have me beat - is this just a name of some kind of special product ... or .... corn ... um :confused:

(we just have wood shavings or wood chip)

John

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Here is what it looks like

corn cob bedding absorbs from the bottom up, so the surface of the bedding that touches your pet remains dry.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Ah, I see ... thanks Ed :)

John

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I take all of the corn cob from the floor out twice a year , replace with a fresh bag and lay down some more stall dry.
About every 6 months give or take depending on my budget lol
I rake the corn cob and remove the big clumps of poop out every other day.

Thanks for the information Ed:) Spot cleaning would be a heck of alot easier in the winter.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Here is what it looks like

corn cob bedding absorbs from the bottom up, so the surface of the bedding that touches your pet remains dry.
you know that stuff would problably be great for nest bowls too..... I remember a pet store I worked at as a younger person..(long time ago)...lol... they used that under the parrot pit where the parrots hung out open in the store..worked great.:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
You have me beat - is this just a name of some kind of special product ... or .... corn ... um :confused:

(we just have wood shavings or wood chip)

John
...A Brit in Chicago, let me translate. You know corn on the husk? Well after all the corn has been taken off, they grind it up for bedding and the like.

L

·
0 Posts
you have to be careful with the corn cob bedding cuz if it gets too wet it tends to grow mold easily.. so Im guessing maybe with the stall dry its a better combination .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pigeon Litter

This is what I've settled on and it works well.
I use felt pad in the nest bowl and I spread a mixture of sand around the nest box to dry up what sqweeker shoots out of the nest around the bowl.
I put out tobacco stems for the birds to build the nest on top of the felt pad with.

droppings that are inside the nest dries quickly but for the most part the little sqweekers are pretty clean. I had to laugh the first time I witnessed the sqweeker backing up to the edge and poping out of the bowl.:D

75% Sand, 25% Sweet PDZ, 5% Diatomaceous earth.
Cleans easy, not dusty, stays put, Birds can eat it. smells good in loft.
dries the droppings up quickly.

I clean regularly with a cat litter strainer that has 1/8 inch screen wired in to it. I just paddle the sand and droppings into it with a 3" trowel that I use for scraping the perches and sift.

I use the sand mixture under the perches 1 1/2" deep in a frame, 1/2" deep on the shelf, 1/4" deep in the nest boxes, and in the Sputnik.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/album.php?albumid=972&pictureid=11482

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
...A Brit in Chicago, let me translate. You know corn on the husk? Well after all the corn has been taken off, they grind it up for bedding and the like.
Hey, waste not want not, and all that :)

Cheers, Brummie

John

21 - 35 of 35 Posts