Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday my loft was attacked, and two beloved white ringneck doves were lost, one is wounded pretty badly, and the other is limping a little bit, but is doing better. The attacker is a huge black cat!!! I am still very devestated and sad about my birds. I have found out how the cat got the birds. It stuck its paw through the little square holes in the aviary and pulled the birds out while they were sleeping. I now got some hard ware cloth, and so that problem is fixed. The two surviving doves are doing very well, there eating, drinking, walking around, and seem to be settiling down a bit. The gaping hole under the surviving male dove is closing up, and doesnt look infected. I have been cleaning the wound out with water and then putting antibiotic on it, and bandaging it up. I also have been giving him baytril. His mate is doing fine, and her leg is seeming to be doing better. I have taken them both out of the loft and they are living inside, until they heal up. But I still have my homers in the loft. They were unharmed. Now, the loft is predator proof, but that dang cat keeps on coming back, and scaring and trying to get at the pigeons. I have chased it off, but it keeps coming back. So I called the SPCA, and they have told me to trap it and bring it to them, where they will have to euthanize it since, it keeps hurrasing my birds. I have been looking for cat traps but they are really expensive. Can anyone tell me a way to humanely trap it?? The cat is feral and nobody owns it, so it runs away everytime it sees me. I really dont want this to happen, but I cant have the cat keep on coming and scaring my birds, it doesnt stop it just keeps coming and coming. Can anyone give me some much needed advice?? Thank You

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The cat did what cats do. It wasn't the cat's fault the bars were bigs enough to get his paws through. You have now predator proofed the aviary, so leave the cat be. If not this cat, there will be another. You can't trap all the cats and have them euthanised.
Don't take your grief out on the black cat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
bargain hunt.

Gosh, sorry to hear that. I hope it works out in the end. I have alot of live traps at home. I have many sizes, for rats, oppossums, and cats. they work well. We got them from various garage sales for bargains. Alot cheaper than ebay or a store.
I would check out garage sales, or get a dog!:eek::) Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that its not the cat's fault, and its mine. I feel so stupid for not realizing that something like this could happen. But the thing is that this is the ony cat in my neighborhood. I havent seen any cats since the last 5 years when we moved here. The first time I have seen the black cat was only about 3 weeks ago. I have asked all around the neighboorhood asking people if they own a black cat and nobody owns him/her. And I mean feral cats are a problem. But I am gonna look online and try to find a place where they can take the cat in and not euthanize it. I love animals and I had a beloved cat of my own to. The last thing I want is the cat to be euthanized.

·
Registered
967 Posts
we have had two feral cats come and have a litter in our yard under a pile of wood, for the past two years. (so all of them ferals living in our yard). so we called humain society and city. I can't remember which but one of the two let us use a trap to trap them and bring them in too the humain society, and then we returned it when we were finished. We just put a little can of cat food in it. and we haven't had any cats back. even the neighbors cats were scared off.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I know that its not the cat's fault, and its mine. I feel so stupid for not realizing that something like this could happen. But the thing is that this is the ony cat in my neighborhood. I havent seen any cats since the last 5 years when we moved here. The first time I have seen the black cat was only about 3 weeks ago. I have asked all around the neighboorhood asking people if they own a black cat and nobody owns him/her. And I mean feral cats are a problem. But I am gonna look online and try to find a place where they can take the cat in and not euthanize it. I love animals and I had a beloved cat of my own to. The last thing I want is the cat to be euthanized.
If the cat is feral and you remove it, another one will take it's place. If not a cat, then a raccoon or possum. You can't remove them all.
I'm glad you won't have the cat put down.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you have your aviary profed, rather let this cat roam and hunt rodents. Everyone will benefit, pigeons, cat and you.:)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Charis and Plamenh are right!
I just moved from NH to Maine with all my birds. I have a couple feral cats, and a very small feral kitten living under my other shed. They immediately started eyeing my birds in the flight cage. They can't get them because its predator proof PLUS!
I started feeding them :) There feral and their hungry. Since leaving them some food, their not bothering with the birds. But they are hunting moles and mice in the yard. If their going to live in my yard, I'm putting them to work for me.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think you should get a havaheart trap..not sure of the spelling, it does not wound or kill, look at your hardware store or feedstore...I think the feral cats should be trapped, they kill song birds, quail nestlings and mice which is not sooo bad,baby rabbits etc... but they also suffer a very hard life and get and spread disease...I think it is your duty to get this animal out of the wilds...it will be put down, unless you contact a no kill organization that will neuter or spay it and then release it...which I do not see the point because of the native animals it will kill and they still can get disease and die a slow death. so that is my opinion..you should not be judge for what yours is..so do what you think is right.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i agree with spirit, cats do not belong outdoors..period. it's unhealthy for them and they are devastating the songbird population, our wildlife hasn't had the chance to evolve to to deal with this non native predator, that kills for fun.
i say trap him, and do your best to find a non kill shelter, taking this one cat out of your area can save hundreds of songbirds in the future. i don't think he deserves a death sentence for being what he is, this a humans fault somewhere not his.
if you can't afford a have a heart trap, you may be able to borrow one from someone, i used to borrow one from a local lady who traps and re homes feral cats. i have my own now.
you can also try to use a cat kennel with a long rope tied to the door and put food in there for him
for everyone that thinks it's okay to let cats roam free please visit this website
http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/index.html

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sorry about your lose...

..so do what you think is right.
I like the sound of this...I know some of members here commented about the way I trapped the cat I caught in the past and released it somewhere far...The reason I want that particular cat is because it got so comfortable to stay under my loft, even if my dog is out and barking at the cat...He never want to move or scram out, since the cat know my dog is not going to fit under the loft...So yea, I did caught the cat with my raccoon trap and went few miles away and released it there...I haven't seen the cat since...I do see some cat roaming in the backyard BUT those new cats NEVER stay under my loft...They do pass by and take a quick glance at my birds then walk away...

Like SW stated..."Do what you think is right"...

I know this suggestion is late...Before you walk away from your coop always remember to close/lock the possible entrance of the predators...Double check the coop before going to bed...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Perhaps putting an add in your local paper for a free barn cat might be an option.
We had to clear out a feral cat colony that took up residence at a restaurant I used to work at. When the servers found out that the company was planning to have them all euthanized, we banded together and used our free time to trap them. The company paid for spaying and neutering because the cost of having them sterilized was nearly the same as having them humanely destroyed. We managed to relocate over 20 cats and kittens of varying ages with the help of local dairy farmers that didn't mind having some barn cats around...and dairy farm barn cats live pretty good with all that fresh milk and a warm dry barn.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think you should try feeding the cat first. You'll have bad luck if you take that cat and to the shelter where they will kill it. Even NO kill shelters kill there animals, they just don't do it there, they take it somewhere else so they can say its a NO kill shelter. They just don't kill animals that they know they can get adopted. Believe, I got my dog from a No kill shelter and I asked them and they told me the truth. My dog was there for 5 months and she is the greatest dog ever and that was 10 years ago. The cat is hungry, try feeding it, it will leave the birds alone. Your lucky you just have one cat. mindy

·
Registered
857 Posts
My mother feeds stray cats and they reward her by having about 3 litters of kittens every year.
The kittens produced, at about 6 months of age, reward her by having 3 litters of kittens a year.
The kittens produced, at about 6 months of age, reward her by having 3 litters of kittens a year.
I trapped, altered and found homes for 43 cats and kittens 3 years ago.
Last year I trapped 26 cats in one day.
The local coyotes eat large numbers of cats and kittens, which is the reason I did not catch 100s of cats.
I like cats, but do not believe they should be allowed to run free outside, especially when unaltered.
Keith

·
Registered
385 Posts
As my grandma would say, "Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one.";)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
they also suffer a very hard life and get and spread disease...I think it is your duty to get this animal out of the wilds...it will be put down ...
These are some of the arguments put forward by pest control companies that advocate the culling of feral pigeons.

If we can't live in harmony with all other animals then we can at least take steps to help them live in a way that is acceptable to human society.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
These are some of the arguments put forward by pest control companies that advocate the culling of feral pigeons.

If we can't live in harmony with all other animals then we can at least take steps to help them live in a way that is acceptable to human society.
I understand what you are saying..reality is feral cats live a very inhumane life, there are folks out there trapping and treating and spay/neutering them...so there are some good things happening out there, but releasing does not help the songbirds and other wild critters that are now in low numbers because of feral cats, so someone needs to think of these creatures as well...there are small colonies of very rare endangerd birds...that can be wiped out because of feral cats..which is the humans fault in the long run. so there are no easy answers...that is why people need to make up their own minds about what they want to do, and not be judged.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts