Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have lost 6 birds to paratyphoid/salmonella last year ...... as of now my birds dont show lack of vitality but i have had a problem with the eggs ..... in the last few months only 3 out of 22 eggs have successfully hatched....... the three squabs are healthy....
I observe that half the birds in the loft have mucoid and watery droppings ........ i dont know wat to suspect because none of the labs here are equipped to examine pigeon droppings!......
please advice.....
here is a pic of the droppings

Attachments

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
To clear the carrier state, it's good to run all birds through a course of Baytril (Enrofloxacin) for two to three weeks. You'd also need to sterilize the loft. Do you have access to medications?

Pidgey

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi everyone
I have lost 6 birds to paratyphoid/salmonella last year ...... as of now my birds dont show lack of vitality but i have had a problem with the eggs ..... in the last few months only 3 out of 22 eggs have successfully hatched....... the three squabs are healthy....
I observe that half the birds in the loft have mucoid and watery droppings ........ i dont know wat to suspect because none of the labs here are equipped to examine pigeon droppings!......
please advice.....
here is a pic of the droppings
Sounds like you have a contaminated loft and a loft full of carriers if not actively sick birds. There may be others that can offer personal experience, or detailed instructions.

I would remove all birds from the loft and vaccinate with Sal Bac. My first choice would be to burn the loft to the ground, and start over, but that may not be practical. So, the second choice would be to very thoroughly clean the loft and disinfect. There is no use attempting to breed, while your loft is contaminated, and I suspect it will take some time to rid yourself of this problem. This is a situation, where investing time and money in prevention turns out to be much better then trying to cure.

You will want to review all of your medical protocols, such as your vaccinations, loft hygiene, health programs, medications, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sal Bac

Thanks for your replies ....
Three months back I treated all the birds with baytril for two weeks and have disinfected the loft with phenols and then with acetic acid twice .......All birds appear healthy and fly well....... I dont know if there is a problem coz i cant get the tests done anywhere...... and i cant get sal bac here...... i could get la sota type vaccine here but i think it would do no good .......
I live in india and i dont know if sal bac could be shipped here coz of some regulations .........
Could the symptoms be cocci and not salmonella coz for the past month the birds have watery droppings and none of them have lost weight or anything.........
If i have to use sal bac I have to treat the birds with baytril first and when everything is clean only then then will i be able use the vaccination right?
My birds appear to be healthy...... if it is not broken i dont want to fix it.......I really dont know wat to do .....
I read in one article that birds could have a host-pathogen equilibrium in case of cocci and it shouldnt be treated if the birds dont lose weight.....the problem is i dont know for sure if it is salmonella or cocci I am dealing with.......
Is there any way i could perform the test my self? If i could wat equipment would i need?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts