Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I found a crested pigeon on my local bike path. He took so long getting out of the way I figured I should stop to have a look. I'm pretty sure I saw him there a few days ago and he flew away from me - but very weakly.
Today however, he didn't even try to fly. He seems quite weak and I have no idea what's wropng with him. All his limbs are functioning as far as I can tell. His crop was empty and his chest bone was protruding a fair bit, so he's a bit undernourished, but otherwsie seems healthy. Except for the bit where he let me catch him without a fight.

I've got him in a covered cage with some bread, birdseed and water, and I don't know what else to do. The vet isn't open until Monday (it's Friday night where I am) and I'm wondering if there's more I can do fofr him in the meantime. Also, despite the fact that these birds are native, I don't know if the vet will want to be bothered helping a bird that's so common.
I have two cockatiels, and I'm worried about them in case he has anything contagious. They're in seperate rooms, but it still worries me.

Also, I'm not a pigeon expert - what are the chances that he is a she and is actually eggbound or something?

Any ideas? Advice? Words of wisdom?

-Kal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.

The other day, I almost ran over a crested pigeon on my bike - he was so slow moving out of the way. so I stopped to see if he was alright. He seemed pretty weak but flew away eventually. Today, I was cycling in the same place and came across another pigeon - or potentially the same one. Again, he was slow to get out of the way, so I stopped. This time he didn't even try to fly or put up a fight, so I carried him home with me.

His limbs seem to be functioning ok and I can't see any obvious wounds. His crop was quuite empty and his chest bone was protruding, so he's obviously a bit undernourished but otherwise ok.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with him.
Can pigeons get beak-and-feather disease? Could he be a she and be egg-bound? Could it be contagious? Are my cockatiels at risk?

It's Friday night over here and I can't get to a vet until Monday. Any idas?

-Kal

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you check inside its mouth to check that it is pink and clear? Also check it underneath the sings for injury and feel its wings carefully for any bumps.

Pigeons don't catch Pscittacine Beak and Feather disease, but they have their own species specific circovirus which cockateils don't catch. http://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/circo/circo.html

However, it is always wise to keep any new bird, whether it is showing signs of illness or not, away from your pet or resident birds. Some people recommend as much as 60 days quarantine. Take care to handle a sick bird last, so that if there is any infection you don't carry it to yiour pets on your hands.

Cynthia

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have ass-umed that this is an Australian crested pigeon?

Cynthia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.