Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me!

I was walking my dog at a park I frequent at. There was a white faintail pigeon strutting across the parking lot in an out of cars. I have never seen this bird before, there. I live in northern Arizona and we just do not have many pigeons around and definetely, non at this park. I tried to approach the bird and it let me get so close that I could touch it. Later that night I decided that maybe it was lost and that it needed to be rescued, but couldn't find it. The next day the bird was still there, but I was unsuccessful at catching it. I went back again the next morning and there it was preening itself by a trash can. I sat there waiting for my boyfriend to arrive to help me as the bird decreased its distance between me by about half. It was so comfortable that it continued to preen. When my boyfriend arrived, we were able to grab her using a towel. I borrowed a small cage to keep her in until I could find a home for her.

My question is:

I have had this bird for two days, she seems to be fine, but very aggitated whenever I get close to her. At first I thought she must be lost, but she now shows no signs of wanting human interaction. Can you help figure out if she is just a friendly wild bird? Should I release her or try to give her to an aviary? I just don't want to see her locked away in a little cage the rest of her life and I unfortunately cannot keep her much longer, but will if it is not safe for her to be in the wild. Like I said before, she was all alone. What do I do?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If it is a fantail, then it most likely somehow got away from it's loft and got lost. They cannot live in the wild, as they are not good flyers, don't have homing ability, and would be very easy prey for a hawk or other predator. It would have starved to death, if not eaten by something first. No such thing as a fantail being a wild bird. Can you post a picture of it?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thank you for taking this bird in and caring :)
As Jay3 said, Fantails are not wild birds. It is a domestic breed with limited flying ability. If you were able to get close enough to touch and catch.....this bird belongs to someone and probably got out and got lost. Fantails are very easy prey for predators (cats, hawks even dogs and cars!). Can you post a picture? That would help to determine whether it is an Indian, American or Garden Fantail. Are there any bands on the legs? If it's an Indian Fantail, it will have feathered legs and feet which makes it hard to see any bands.
As far as 'agitated'......Fantails make all kinds of 'jerky' 'shaky' movements, that is normal for them. It is probably just that he is not use to a small enclosure (cage), their usually kept in 'lofts' or flight cages. For the time being, you can feed wild bird seed and a deep (2-3") bowl of water.
Keep checking back, as we have many members in your area that may be able to help you place the bird.
Thank you again for caring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts