Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I feel horrible that I got there so late, but I went to feed my barn pigeons,
And behind the truck thing tundra was hiding in, lay a plastic bag. It was dark, yes, it gets dark at four here, but it was windy. The wind ruffled something that looked a little too much like feathers for me to ignore, so I came up to the bag, and guess what? A big black and beautiful pigeon shuddered her last breath. I almost cried, had I been a few minutes earlier she could have lived, but I was late. I nudged her with my foot, of course, I wanted to see if she wasn't bloody and mangled or something... She wasn't, so I picked her up, and walked her home, I wasn't sure if she was still alive, because she was warm as I carried her and her body moved with my gate, but when I got home she was cold. Now I just need to know one thing, why do you think she died, she might just have been old (althought she was too pretty for that) but just to make this mysterious, she has no eyes! No other signs of injury, but under her eyelids, nothing! She couldn't have lost her eyes in the time after she died, because I was there when she did, so what's going on!?!! Postin pics when my computer turns on ( this is via iPhone)
D

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Im not sure if your allowed to post a dead pigeon, so if it breaks the forum rules, I'll take them down.
Sorry you couldn't help her :(
It looks like the eyes are there to me. That looks like the membrane over the eye. Possibly stuck there after she died. Extremities (legs, wings, eye lids) will stiffen first. She probably closed her eyes and died. If an animal dies with their eyes open, you can't close the lid. She looks pretty old to me, but I'm no expert on age.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really should post a pic of the barns, it's a streetcar barn, with 5 different sections, they live in section 5, wich is only a framework, she has eyelids, just no eyes under, wich is strange, when I buried Scourge and Atna, both had waited a night inside our pigeon freezer, so their eyes dehydrated, and by morning were gOne, but this one died in front of me, so I don't know why they were missing, just two sockets with eyelids stuck to them. She looks so peaceful, I'm glad I got to her before a street sweeper did!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
so sorry to hear....looks like she may have had some sort of infection or a parasite could have gotten in them. she may have gone blind also and sometime the eyes will " sink " in their socket when blind, i had a bird that was blind in one eye, it stayed open but was sunk in the socket the lid never closed. like spiritwings said she does look old then again she is very dirty in the pic's. again sorry you lost one of you flock members

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whatever happened to her, it's kinda creeping me out that its been 6 hours and shes not hard....I even held her like a little telephone, to my ear, and she didn't have a heartbeat. Its...sorta weird...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Also, I've come to a horrid realization...the patriarch went missing that day, and that's when she died... There was two black Pigeons in that flock...the matriarch, and her sister... (I call them matriarch and patriarch because idk what 'society' they have, they seemed to control the rest somewhat) I have pics of them cuddling in the cold a while back, they were big, and old, a lot of people recognized each by their size. So pigeons mourn, right? I have the terrible feeling that Albino the Second (patriarch) is mourning her death...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts