Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A feral baby was almost 25 days old. Not at all weaned but started to take small flights in our veranda. He was willing to follow his father who would come daily to feed him and to stay with him at night. Yesterday around 4 p.m he followed his father outside and was basking in the sun for long. His father was keeping an eye on him all the time but suddenly he flew and his father followed him. After almost half an hour I saw father returned but the baby did not. Father kept waiting for him outside until very late evening, it was almost dark when he came in and stayed whole night in nest. Since today morning I saw father looking for him everywhere. He came to see him and stayed outside till very late evening at the same place as yesterday but the baby didn't come back.
I am worried he wasn't weaned and the mother I don't see much because she is probably nesting somewhere else as father was feeding the baby.
I don't know why he didn't return, even why I couldn't see him flying around if he was here. A baby who isn't weaned has no chances outside without his parents I guess. I was wondering what are chances for his return to nest? I didn't observe a feral baby before. When I didn't have my pigeons, I didn't know about their behaviors and when they flew I never worried this much. I always thought they flew off and left the nest because they are grown up.

I don't know if still he can return? It is night again and he isn't here.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He may have gone back to his old nest, but wouldn't the father bird have looked there? You said the father hung out as if looking for the baby.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nest is in our veranda. The baby didn't come back here. Father since two days hanging out at our front building. In evening he comes to our veranda, yesterday he looked for baby here and flew back.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Kiddy not necessarily, the baby can be close by but dad could have hustled him away if he is a he and father wants to renest with hen or if he feels this is hes territory and doesnt want competition. That baby looks to be older than 25 days. I would think less than 30 days will still have yellow on head. Anyway, he may be clsoe by or hanging out with other squeakers.
Keep and eye but dont worry too much, he could also be forageing or hanging out with the hen wherever she is. Hens also feed squeakers, mine do anyway.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Doesn't sound as though the father would have chased him away. He even waited in the nest for him. The father wouldn't have stayed in the nest as a roost for the night. He would be roosting near the nest where his mate is if he were not waiting for the young one.
Maybe he will show up Kiddy. Let us know. Do you have any idea where else they feed?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay, I don't see any predators here, except for Badius (shikra), I didn't see him catching a pigeon tho.

CBL, The pic I took was from very far so yellow feathers won't be seen. He went out for the first time. He wasn't feeding on his own yet. In fact didn't come down from the nest yet. Father was feeding him regularly. When yesterday he flew I saw both father and mother. Mother flew after a while but father remained with him. When he flew by his own, father followed him. Father came back and looked for him. He wasn't there, now he is coming since two days. Now it's morning. I am not able to see him yet.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't sound as though the father would have chased him away. He even waited in the nest for him. The father wouldn't have stayed in the nest as a roost for the night. He would be roosting near the nest where his mate is if he were not waiting for the young one.
Maybe he will show up Kiddy. Let us know. Do you have any idea where else they feed?

No, father didn't chase him of course. He roosts with the baby daily. When he flew then too he came to roost, because it was late evening he stayed in nest only but yesterday he flew back after looking for him till late evening.
No I don't know where else they feed, they come down to our yard sometimes to feed but not always.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Just not normal for the baby not to stay around the area that he knows. Maybe he got lost? Gee, I hope he is alright. May have been chased by a hawk or something and can't find his way home.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People say pigeons don't remember their babies for long. This is the third day and his father was again sitting at the same place where his baby was and he sat there almost for more than an hour in evening but didn't come down to nest.
Don't know where he has gone. He was simply basking in the sun and nothing chased him and he just took a normal flight and disappeared.
He doesn't know to eat on his own yet. So sad. Don't know what he is going through.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm afraid he got lost.

Is impossible even for an adult bird to return if he doesn't have the experience of recognizing the places. Few days ago two birds who I took endless times in strolls in the area and keep them at window many hours escaped and probably they didn't resist the cold weather and cold rain that followed. They were adult birds that have had babies but were kept only indoor (by the people who gave them to me and then by me).

And if a baby leave sudden the birth place, I would wonder if he returns, not why he doesn't return.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, you are right Andrei but actually from our veranda he had an access to outside world so he knew the place. When he was basking outside I was sure he will return but when suddenly he flew, probably then he went far and forgot the way.
If not caught by a predator, he must be starving unless got by some caring person who are very hard to find.

I feel it again, when pets /birds are around we are so relaxed and happy to see them but when they are lost/dead, so stressful. Can't help watching them still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.