Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the 18th day of incubation since the second egg was laid. I switched the eggs with dummies week one. Until today, Kalani (hen) would sit on eggs for 19 to 20 hours straight and Kiko would sit for 4 or 5 hours. Today there behavior changed. Until today you could almost count on Kalani coming off the eggs between 6:30pm and 7pm, but today she came off them around 4PM. Kiko took over for 6 hours (his record). The really odd behavior is that since 10PM they have been taking turns sitting on the eggs almost every hour. I noticed that Kiko was trying to mate with Kalani earlier today and he tried to mate with my foot early today also (Kalani came over and made him stop, it was so funny).

Are these signs that they are giving up on the eggs?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's day 19 and they don't waste any time. K&K are courting again. Every now and then I see one of them sitting on the eggs, but not for long. They will fly back to the nest and angrily defend it if you get to close to it though.

It's so cute, they sleep together, fly together, eat together... Kalani is really funny today. Yesterday she showed that she did not like it when Kiko was trying to mate with my foot and today she is being very aggressive towards me. She will chase me from accros the room (I can even be in a different room and she will come running in to attack) and start pecking my foot and wing slapping me. I feel like "the other woman" :p She does not do that to George.

I wonder when I should remove the eggs from the nest.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
That is so cute. She is jealous:p
Some of my birds have similar egg sitting behaviour to your birdies. I guess after a while having their eggs not hatching they loose their patience.
Just leave the eggs until they loose completely interest.

Reti

G

·
That's funny, they know those eggs are supposed to be hatching. I have one pair that does things their own way. They sit randomly, never really keeping to a schedule. They switch often (sometimes every few hours) during the day. They also don't mind when I try to have a look in the nest, they don't slap and bite like my others.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
These birds are so dedicated. Each bird takes turn and some are so into it that it wont eat during feeding time. Some just take couple of bites and go back to incubate eggs. Fascinating creatures!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had two boxes set up for nests and they were using just the one with the eggs in it since beginning of Nov. On Wednesday they stopped getting in the nest with the eggs and started hanging out together in the other box. I had to put them in the back bathroom all day Thursday so I could do all necessary for a party of 8. I chose that time to take the eggs out of the nest.

Kiko wants so badly to mate with Kalani again, but Kalani is playing hard to get:p I can just here her as she wing slaps Kiko saying, "get your feathered hands off of me":p It just drives Kiko crazy, hehehehehe....

Oh, BTW they got nuts when I took the turkey out of the fridge to clean and brine it. They started flying fast and crazy and both were cooing frantically. I almost dropped the turkey I was laughing so hard:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.