Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, they are both charcoal which is carbon. And the stuff you buy for the birds has lots of long and sharp pieces in it which I don't like to give my birds, so I brake them up. The charcoal or carbon for the filters comes in very small pieces, without the sharp edges.

·
Registered
189 Posts
go to Walmart or a store like it. Get a bag of natural charcoal not brickqetts and crush that up. runing over it with your car is a good way or just take a piece and crush into little pea size bits with a hammer and feed with your grit. You can also take very old red bricks and crush them down for Grit. my birds like it and the charcoal is taken as needed. I think this is what the red grit is that is sold in the catalogs. A pigeon book I have talks of using bricks and the old morter also for grit.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they are both charcoal which is carbon. And the stuff you buy for the birds has lots of long and sharp pieces in it which I don't like to give my birds, so I brake them up. The charcoal or carbon for the filters comes in very small pieces, without the sharp edges.
The word Activated is what had me concerned. I usaly order a bag when making an order from foys to add to the grit. But if I can get it from Walmart sure beats shiping. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Activated charcoal is what they use to clean out peoples stomachs when they have ingested toxins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this online:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question209.htm

Charcoal is carbon. Activated charcoal is charcoal that has been treated with oxygen to open up millions of tiny pores between the carbon atoms. According to Encylopedia Britannica:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------By treating it in this way, it is able to absorb more toxins. BTW, it will also absorb some vitamins and minerals, so you really only need a little bit mixed in with the grit. Not a lot. Because of being activated, it absorbs more. More toxins, and therefore, I would suppose more vitamins and minerals. So, you would probably use a bit less in the mix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts