Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know if the charcoal from campfire would be safe for the birds? Would it be the same as the feed stores charcoal that are pre-mixed with grit?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think it would be good to stick to the charcoal that is packaged for birds as it is "food grade", not sure how they get it that way but it is just as easy to buy it in the mix.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Ditto, it needs to be labeled "Food Grade"...

fp

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Do any of you know if the charcoal from campfire would be safe for the birds? Would it be the same as the feed stores charcoal that are pre-mixed with grit?
There may be a correct answer to your question. But, with good inexpensive grit, which already has such items in the mix, why attempt to reinvent the wheel ?

I often hear of many "off the wall" ideas concerning the feeding of strange items to our pigeons, although campfire debris is not the worst of the ideas I have heard. I just wonder what the advantage might be in some of these strange items I hear that people attempt to get pigeons their pigeons to ingest.

G

·
Some coals or wood for campfires have lighter fluids or other things added, I'd be afraid of any residue that could poison the birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can also buy the charcoal online at some of the pigeon supply places. It's made for this purpose so you know it is okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts