Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a pretty pigeon rich area of CT. About 3 weeks ago on a nice day a pigeon walked through an open back door and took residence in my home. This has never happened before, they usually leave right away. Since I live alone it was OK with me. Things have been fine since and I would not change a thing BUT I seem to be developing a respiratory problem due to this. The doctor said the bird must go now, so in order to prevent lung issues, I will have to comply this weekend. I plan to just open the door wide and hope he leaves eventually over the next 2 days. Need to know will it be a problem putting the bird out now? Will he be able to go back to wherever nest it came from? Do I need to do anything to make sure all will be well? Please let me know what I have to do if anything. Liz

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hi Liz. Can you post a picture of the bird so we can get a better feeling for his age, and whether he is domestic or feral?
Odd that he would have just come in unless he was raised by people and either released or gotten lost. A wild pigeon wouldn't do that. If he isn't a wild living feral, then he won't know how to live outside and is maybe why he adopted you. A picture may help.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
If you have lung issues, you dont necessarily have to get rid of the bird. I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis and am ok after on my pulmonologists advice moving the birds into cages into a shed outside. I wear a mask and change clothes after being around them. I am allergic to molds and fungi and avian proteins. I recommend if you arent sure about releasing the bird that you consider just having him outside. Or you could find him a home in someones aviary. A wild bird doesnt just walk into a house...he may be a lost pet.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Just keeping him outside by himself wouldn't be fair to him. He needs to be with other birds. Whether that is living free or in a loft with other pigeons, that has yet to be decided.
A picture would help.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Finding him a home in a flock of birds that someone owns would maybe be best, but that takes time. Putting him in a small cage or shed outside even with a mate is not the answer. Not everyone wants to take care of pigeons, or buy a shed for them. There must be someone in the area that keeps them. Maybe call around to some avian vets or rehabbers. They may be able to give you some ideas of who has pigeons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have lung issues, you dont necessarily have to get rid of the bird. I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis and am ok after on my pulmonologists advice moving the birds into cages into a shed outside. I wear a mask and change clothes after being around them. I am allergic to molds and fungi and avian proteins. I recommend if you arent sure about releasing the bird that you consider just having him outside. Or you could find him a home in someones aviary. A wild bird doesnt just walk into a house...he may be a lost pet.
Since you have lung issues I am sure you will understand best. I have interstitial lung disease due to autoimmune issues so I have to be super careful otherwise fibrosis can set in. I had no idea about the issues pigeons can cause. I can't chance it. I cannot set up anything outside, it would need to be large enough for her to fly around in a bit, that is no life for a free spirit like this. She flys throughout my home, that is not too bad, but a cage is not right, just my philosophy. Many birds have flown into my home, sometimes they stay a few hours and they just fly out. She is just a ferrel, same markings as all the others, no leg bands, nothing. She eats all day long, so that probably keeps her here. If I was not sick it would be different. I am sure here group is local and you know birds have a way of finding their way. She is always welcome back for food and stuff, but not living. YOu should be as careful as I am too, lungs do not heal. I will have to santitize eveything after she is gone. Who knew.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just figured I would pass this on to you because of your lung issues. I do not know what treatment you currently do, but look into taking a blood pressure medication called losartan as a preventative against additional lung damage, look it up and it will explain what it does, also supplements ie, Andrographis, black seed oil and zinc should be added in also for additional protection especially since you do get exposure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
She is just a ferrel, same markings as all the others, no leg bands, nothing.
my pet pigeon has the same markings as a feral and does not have a leg band either, so there's still a possibility that the bird in your home could be someone else's pet. Could you maybe try to a find someone who would adopt him?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
my pet pigeon has the same markings as a feral and does not have a leg band either, so there's still a possibility that the bird in your home could be someone else's pet. Could you maybe try to a find someone who would adopt him?
Good point Jenny. Many do rescue feral babies, and then release them. Sometimes they do okay, but sometimes they are not ready and don't know how to survive in the wild.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Redlizzy, thanks for the advice on supplements for lung issues, will check them out. Pulmonologist gave me close to a clean bill of health yesterday after i got away from a moldy office at work and moved the pigeons outside. I was getting fibrosis last year and was really really sick with pneumonia for a while. I took cortisone for nearly a year, used oxygen and spiriva at night, and the crackles and other symptoms are gone. I wear a p100 mask if near any birds. Hope you can find the bird a home. Are there any prospects near you for someone to adopt the bird? Also if you have ILD you will need to keep birds from coming in. If you want a pet my lung doctor said cats and frogs wont make me react so i have those. Plus our birds...but they are all outside now. Avoidance of breathing feather products of any kind seems to be a key for me. Hope your lung problems improve. You might want to see if there are local bird clubs or run a craigslist ad and carefully screen whoever answers to find a home for the bird as he sounds like a lost pet.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Craigslist is the worse place to advertise for a home. Too many freaks go on there looking for birds and other pets. You can only screen just so well. Please don't use them. Better to just release him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craigslist is the worse place to advertise for a home. Too many freaks go on there looking for birds and other pets. You can only screen just so well. Please don't use them. Better to just release him.
I would not get involved with Craigslist, there are murderers on there, some nutjob would end up cooking it for dinner. So far I have the door wide open today. She goes up to it, looks out, then comes back in and eats. Leaving has to be her choice, I will never throw her out. Also if she leaves, I will not close the door just in case she wants to come back in. I am looking for a legitamate rescue that will take her. I called one and they cannot take any right now, told me on the procedure on how to release her in a local park. I think it is better she leaves from here, she most likely knows the landmarks and will not get lost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Redlizzy, thanks for the advice on supplements for lung issues, will check them out. Pulmonologist gave me close to a clean bill of health yesterday after i got away from a moldy office at work and moved the pigeons outside. I was getting fibrosis last year and was really really sick with pneumonia for a while. I took cortisone for nearly a year, used oxygen and spiriva at night, and the crackles and other symptoms are gone. I wear a p100 mask if near any birds. Hope you can find the bird a home. Are there any prospects near you for someone to adopt the bird? Also if you have ILD you will need to keep birds from coming in. If you want a pet my lung doctor said cats and frogs wont make me react so i have those. Plus our birds...but they are all outside now. Avoidance of breathing feather products of any kind seems to be a key for me. Hope your lung problems improve. You might want to see if there are local bird clubs or run a craigslist ad and carefully screen whoever answers to find a home for the bird as he sounds like a lost pet.
I am really glad you are doing well, this stuff will kill you. The supplements I mentioned and especially the losartan will lower TGF-B, that is the cytokine responsible for causing fibrosis, keeping it low makes it less likely. My pulmonologist has me on 50mg twice daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am trying to get a rescue to take her, but no luck so far. I will keep trying.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bird? Wonder if it is a male or female?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts