Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my pigeon mated with a visiting racing pigeon (who has now been collected by his owner!) she has just laid her first egg and i suspect the next will come tomorrow...i read that the hen sits at night and the male during the day...since the male has now gone should i put the eggs in a warm place during the day and put them back in the nest for her at night?????? Will they survive with a single parent?!

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Hi, my pigeon mated with a visiting racing pigeon (who has now been collected by his owner!) she has just laid her first egg and i suspect the next will come tomorrow...i read that the hen sits at night and the male during the day...since the male has now gone should i put the eggs in a warm place during the day and put them back in the nest for her at night?????? Will they survive with a single parent?!
How long did you have the lost racer there? I wouldn't count on a hen sitting on eggs by herself, 24/7 for 18 straight days and then staying with the baby or babies to raise by herself for another 30 days.
First of all, if the racer was going home, you really shouldn't have allowed them to pair and mate. It's not fair to the hen especially since she's the one who got left behind.
If it was me, I'd throw the eggs out.
Is this just one pet pigeon or what?

· Registered
4,934 Posts
I would toss the eggs. It's just too much for one bird to do. But you've come to the right place if you're looking for a mate for her!!!!!:D

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! She is a rescue hen that was injured and dumped outside my garage! I was already caring for an injured collared dove so i guess someone thought i would take her too! I got her a female friend for company as my dove is a bit reclusive! I found the racing pigeon exhausted about 100 miles from where he should have been...took him back (did not know he was a male!) His owner did not collect him for just over 2 weeks. He was in a little cage in the aviary for the first 2 days then i felt sorry for him cooped up so let him out with the others...

Strangely enough before he came on the scene she had laid 2 eggs which cant have been fertilised! She sat on them a few days then lost interest!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.