Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of different posts on PT that mention how bad chicken wire is. When I built my loft I followed PT advice and did not use chicken wire. However I was wondering what problems people have had with it. We have used it on the farm fow many years and never had a problem with animals breaking in or out of it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The problem is that some predaters can knaw through chicken wire. It's all right for interenal use but not for external use. Good Luck Danny Joe

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
vivagirl - did you get a PM or e-mail from someone looking for pheasant pigeons?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
OMG! They are so cool! Very different from the birds I thought they were looking for. Thanks for educating me. By the way, I had added your website to my dove collection. You have a great looking set up. Do you aviary fly the birds in the winter? I see what looks like plastic wrap around it. Also, do you let your ringneck dove breeders all share a loft, or are they individually caged? I saw that there were many together, but are those young birds or breeding stock? And do you have any birds available?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used to have the Pheasant Pigeons you were taking about...now I just have Ringneck and Diamond Doves...and a few Zebra Finches. My doves go out in the aviary/flight in the winter...they are very hardy as long as they have protection from the harsh elements of the weather. I cage breed all of my Ringneck Doves. I cage breed and colony breed my Diamond Doves. The doves that I am not using for breeding are in the loft and flight. I don't have any doves available yet...I just set up my breeding pairs.

Thank you for the nice complement on my birds...:)

Dawn

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The thing to keep in mind, also...is that the term "chicken wire" can get misused...some folks refer to any wire mesh as "chicken wire"....

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks for the info on your doves. I will check back later to see about your young ones.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, chicken wire is not good for anything but burying in the ground to prevent something from digging under your loft perimeter. I don't even use chicken wire on my chicken runs any more since loosing many beloved friends to stray dogs that form packs out here in the boonies. I like the small gauge hardwire cloth. It's very sturdy, and nothing has broke into my runs since.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have Always used Chicken Wire in my small loft to keep my pigeons in.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with useing it.
Now, If You have a Mouse/Rat Problem, then, That's something that you NEED to take care of BEFORE you Keep Pigeons! ( Did you build in the Wrong Place?)
AS for the folks that think that their pigeons wings will become damaged do to their pigeons climbing the walls, so to speak, and scrapeing their wing tips, well, think about it..
Do You're Pigeons Need More Flying Space Inside the Loft?
Have you matched your Pigeons Up Properly?
Do You Fly them Often Enough?
When you build a loft for Pigeons, ANY kind of pigeons, Allways have 12 Cubic Ft. of Flying space Inside the loft, PER PIGEON!!!!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I lost half my birds in my old loft because of chicken wire. Will NEVER use it again! Before I learned.......I was battling salmonella all the time (mice coming thru the chicken wire), and I lived on a pond, which is a favorite place for Norway rats :mad: I only had chicken wire at the top where it connected to a shed. Norway rats chewed thru the wire and loosened the staples in one night. Killed and mutilated about 30 of my birds.
Chicken wire is NOT SAFE!
It is impossible to eliminate all rats and mice, therefore, you need to secure your birds for their safety.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Chichen Wire IS SAFE!
It just Depends on where your loft is situated, and what circumstances Your Pigeons are being KEPT!
Inattentiveness is NOT an Excuse!!! When keeping Pigeons!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Let's Simplify, 1 Caged Pigeon NEEDS 12 cubic feet of Flying Space. This is INSIDE of the Loft.
Any less is overcrouding (sp) the Pigeons.
If you fly your pigeons, let's say twice a day, and they are Still being kept INSIDE a LOFT, they Still need 12 cubic feet of flying space INSIDE the LOFT!
Now Many seem to think that they can get away with cutting corners, and their pigeons survive, but is it right?
To reply, Who Lost the Pigeons?
I Havent lost any, ever.
Buy the way, It is NOT impossable to control a rat/mouse problem.
Everyone's circumstances are different, I understand that!
But Don't tell me, that under MY circumstances I Shouldent, or Cant use Chicken Wire!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Twelve cubic feet per bird? How did you come up with those stats. Most people agree that two square feet per bird is adequate.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Let's Simplify, 1 Caged Pigeon NEEDS 12 cubic feet of Flying Space. This is INSIDE of the Loft.
Any less is overcrouding (sp) the Pigeons.
If you fly your pigeons, let's say twice a day, and they are Still being kept INSIDE a LOFT, they Still need 12 cubic feet of flying space INSIDE the LOFT!
Now Many seem to think that they can get away with cutting corners, and their pigeons survive, but is right?
To reply, Who Lost the Pigeons?
I Havent lost any, ever.
Buy the way, It is NOT impossable to control a rat/mouse problem.
Everyone's circumstances are different, I understand that!
But Don't tell me, that under MY circumstances I Shouldent, or Cant use Chicken Wire!
Yes, everyones situation is different, If you want to use chicken wire & are happy with it then suit yourself, but it is fool hardy and downright idiotic to advise that it is OK for anyone to use. Those that ask advice & dont know any better may well follow your advice & lose all their birds. They should be made aware of the dangers but you are virtually saying there is none but do not know their cirumstances.

Incidently, when chicken wire is exposed to the elements of air & water, it becomes weak & more pliable, hence it loses strength as time goes on.
It also decays very quickly when "buried" in soil as this speeds up the process.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts