Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr Olsen from Med Center for Birds left a message...Chloe was circovirus positive. Am to talk with him tomorrow about other results and implications for Fiona. Anybody have experience with circo? Am worried that Fiona might be affected although they never met. They were quarantined from each other for 3 months. Fiona is an adult, Chloe was probably five months old when we lost her to all the infections. Found a pigeon at an aspca shelter two hours away I'd like to adopt but don't know if it is safe to ever adopt another pigeon. The shelter bird has been there over a year, an adult, and is two hours away. Anyone know about the long term implications of circo? Also, had Fiona's poop tested. Dr Edsall said Fiona has moderate emeria, ie, coccidiosis. We just treated her with amprollium about two months ago. He suggested we treat her again. ??

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Oh that is so sad to know. Poor bird had so many problems he succumbed to. No experience with that but I am so sorry for you and Chloe.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiddy, thank you. Am trying to learn about circovirus. From what I read, it is spread by saliva, feces, feather dust, human clothing or hands in contact with a sick bird, and persists for an unknown time, maybe a year. It may not be killed by heat or disinfectants, they don't know. They think it mostly affects birds younger than a year but adults may be symptomless carriers. There is no treatment. A bird can sometimes survive with supportive care. Most succumb. Will ask whether I should have Fiona tested, although she was likely adult when we got her a year ago. She has no symptoms of anything. Although she still has coccidia. Am wondering whether having coccidia is protective. Chloe got sick after we treated her for coccidia and she started to molt.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Kiddy, thank you. Am trying to learn about circovirus. From what I read, it is spread by saliva, feces, feather dust, human clothing or hands in contact with a sick bird, and persists for an unknown time, maybe a year. It may not be killed by heat or disinfectants, they don't know. They think it mostly affects birds younger than a year but adults may be symptomless carriers. There is no treatment. A bird can sometimes survive with supportive care. Most succumb. Will ask whether I should have Fiona tested, although she was likely adult when we got her a year ago. She has no symptoms of anything. Although she still has coccidia. Am wondering whether having coccidia is protective. Chloe got sick after we treated her for coccidia and she started to molt.
No coccidia is not protective, is is a disease and along with the molt is what triggered all her ailments trust me. Get rid of the cocci. The bird will be healhier for it, and I would advise to do a cocci worming together. Or a worming after the cocci treatment. Ask the vet.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fiona didn't have worms, just coccidia, emeria type. We just used amprollium two months ago but it obviously didn't eliminate the emeria. What do you recommend for coccidia? He said she has a moderate amount of coccidia.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I would expect a bird to have what our testing lab would call 'a heavy burden of Coccidia' before it was extremely likely to develop into an actual illness (i.e., Coccidiosis). It is usually present in Pigeons anyway, but kept to a manageable level by the immune system.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Dr Olsen from Med Center for Birds left a message...Chloe was circovirus positive. Am to talk with him tomorrow about other results and implications for Fiona. Anybody have experience with circo? Am worried that Fiona might be affected although they never met. They were quarantined from each other for 3 months. Fiona is an adult, Chloe was probably five months old when we lost her to all the infections. Found a pigeon at an aspca shelter two hours away I'd like to adopt but don't know if it is safe to ever adopt another pigeon. The shelter bird has been there over a year, an adult, and is two hours away. Anyone know about the long term implications of circo? Also, had Fiona's poop tested. Dr Edsall said Fiona has moderate emeria, ie, coccidiosis. We just treated her with amprollium about two months ago. He suggested we treat her again. ??
It only takes one drop of blood to test for it. I read they flush the virus or clear it after 6 or 7 months. If they don't succumb.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke with the local vet today about testing Fiona for circovirus. Am wondering though how to clean out poor Chloe's cage and the bedroom she was in. Not sure anything would kill the virus. Would like to adopt a second pigeon from a shelter that had a broken wing in the past but do not want to harm him or her.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Give yourself some time and that pigeon if it is well now needs exercise to try to get the wing stronger for flight as well as rehabiltation if it is not already mended. That's the best for pigeons with broken wings freedom to exercise it to build up the muscles and tendons so that it becomes all that it can. Give yourself some time and regrouping with your thoughts....For now you have done enough...Clorox the cage and area with gloves and a window open with no birds around....Take care...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts