Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incoming pigeons #4 and #5 of the day just arrived a few minutes ago from the Tulare/Visalia/Exeter area. They were chauffeured down here by a rescuer/rehabber from that area. One is a non self feeder who has been tube fed for months. The other is a young feral that just needs some fly time and can then get released into the duck pond flock.

#1 arrival of the day was brought to me at work this morning and has what is probably a hawk inflicted wound under one wing. It was found near the Civic Center in Santa Ana and became the second rescue done by a nice young lady who works there. She noticed that the bird wasn't flying and scooped it up and brought it to me.

#2 arrival of the day also came to me at work just as we were closing at noon. A kindly cat rescue person picked this one up from outside of her work. It is very thin and was horribly entangled by string on one foot. No toes have been lost yet but two were almost completely severed. Surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be any major infection, so I'm hopeful things will go well for this bird.

#3 arrival of the day got here around 6 PM from Orange County Animal Care Services. I'm not sure what is wrong with this one. There are no obvious injuries or signs of illness aside from very heavy/labored breathing. I think the breathing was more due to fear than anything as this one is a Band-tailed pigeon. Just what I needed on Christmas Eve! I will have to transfer this one to my permitted rehabber friend as soon as I can as it is a state and federally protected species of wild pigeon, but that won't be happening tonight or tomorrow .. maybe Friday.

The weather is getting very cold here tonight, and it's starting to rain. This will probably result in some number of incoming tomorrow.

Terry

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oye...

Big Hug!!!!

:)

Love,

Phil
l v

PS

Had a horrifically labored breather recently...noise like loud creaking Leather.

Anyway, 'Divet' and 'Doxycycline' and a small folded cloth moderately saturated with Turpentine..and he really responded well.

After three days, breathing appeared normal, and no more 'noise'.

As usual, he went out of his way to stand right in front of the Turpentine Cloth...which if he had not liked, he had plenty of room to stay clear of.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil!

Happy Holidays to you! The labored breather is probably NOT ill .. it is a Band-tailed that is old enough to be terrified of humans. S/he had already been gotten by animal control, put in a box, put on a truck, driven down here to me, looked at by me .. I think you get the picture. I'll post tomorrow after this poor bird has had a chance to settle down and realize that it's not going to get hurt or killed here.

Terry

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Ahhhhhh...

Yeahhhh, that's a lot of stress for the Bird, for sure...

Merry Christmas to you Terry! - and to yours! and to all your little Beaks!

Phil
in mid-thirties BRRRRRRR!
Las Vegas

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Wow, Santa sure brings you a different kind of presents! Or maybe you are the present for those birds? Your experience allows for a rapid triage and minimizes their initial stress so they can start to recover. Having other birds around is probably comforting to the band-tail, so he doesn't feel like he's in a totally alien environment.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, so good with these 5. The Band-tailed is still very, very hyper and terrified .. still don't have a clue what's wrong with it but something is or animal control would not have been able to catch it. Hopefully it is taking some comfort from being able to see the other pigeons that came in yesterday. They are all in quarantine cages but are close enough to each other to easily see one another.

Terry

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
You are a true Santa Claus Spirit, Terry!

Rescue/Rehab knows no holidays...

Wishing all the best for your boarders, permanent and temporary with love, hugs and scritches!

Shi

Brrrr, very cold, Phil! We're not there...yet...but did have rain today!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Bless you Terry for taking in these sweet Christmas Eve pigeons. My heart goes out to the Bandtail especially, who must be just terrified. I've never handled one but imagine they are as shy as Wood Pigeons, being a similar species. Best of luck with all these guys and I know you'll keep us updated. ;)

-Cathy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts