Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two birds - one 6-7yo street rescue female, one 2yo Modena male.

I've had the female for about 5+ yrs now, and she's perfectly healthy, never had any issues.
My Modena I got about 1.5yrs ago. He came to me in rough shape with mites, extreme plucking around his head, buildup around the eyes, nose, etc.

I've run through a few rounds of medication, managed his diet, adopted rigorous cleaning habits for their space, etc.
He has a persistent sour smelling mouth / crop and often stretches his neck like he is trying to clear his throat.
Looking in the throat I don't see any discoloration or obvious blockages, and on several occasions (following medication) the bad smell has stopped.

Any ideas? He doesn't seem to be in pain and eats / drinks normally. My other bird shows none of these symptoms, eating and drinking the same feed.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Do you give them regular apple cider vinegar in the drinking water? 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water twice a week. This will keep the good gut bacteria in place. Sour crop is a yeast infection. Medication will make it worse. Other natural products that will help is grapefruit seed extract added according to instructions to the drinking water. Soak a piece of garlic in the drinking water overnight, remove the garlic and let them drink the water the next day. Do this once a week.

You can also order Medistatin (powdered Nystatin) to mix in with the food. All of this will help to keep the crop healthy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts