Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think would be useful to tell others what I or other will found after making lab tests to some birds and what were the previous symptoms, also how the treatment worked afterward.

I will start with the today case: a baby crow (has adult size, yet, doesn't know to eat by him/herself) I have for two weeks.

Symptoms

-First stage: bird breaths with open mouth at warmer atmosphere or after effort. Bird sneezes frequently.

-Advanced stage (today): bird keeps the mouth open most of the time, no internal sound or panting. Bird shakes his/her body along its longitudinal axis. Also, cries, as asking something.

Lab test results
-The microscopic observation of fecal sample revealed an egg of gapeworm.

The culture for possible bacteria and fungi will take five days but I already suspect he/she has candida too, as has a white blister in the middle of the upper face of the tongue, a symptom which was observed at other two birds, one diagnosed with candida after lab test and the other died after her mouth (and probably the internal organs) was invaded by some white membranes.

Treatment: I gave some Flubendazole.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
double post

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got today the second part of the results for the crow, those that needed few days for developing some cultures. Poor guy has both aspergillus and candida.

As I said before, I suspected he has candida because of the characteristic whitish blister in the middle of the tongue (that I noticed at other bird with confirmed candidosis):

Candida tongue blister

I gave him Itraconazole and noticed some weird change in the color of the droppings.

This change may be because of Itraconazole or because in the same time I changed his diet: until then I was giving him mostly some boiled soybean cake that he liked very much. But I noticed that the droppings became almost egg-yolk yellow so I completely stopped giving soybean and start giving only bread, raisins and boiled corn grains.

Here's how the dropping color changed over the last hours:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A pigeon with leg paralysis, impacted crop and who was not pooping, also was wheezing and has a wing with an open wound (probably attacked by a raptor) was analysed and found to have a massive infestation with coccidia and significant infestation with trichomonas. There were traces of blood in droppings.

This is how droppings look:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Came back from lab tests and found out that the taenia that I thought was eliminated some weeks ago, is still alive and making eggs. The Doctor told me that the free part of the worm may die and be eliminated following medication but the part which attached to the intestine may survive and lead to the rebuilding of the worm, as it happened in this case.

Let's put here as well the photo of the parts of taenia eliminated on 8th August:

The gelatinous mucus eliminated every few days, separated (not in the same time) with the droppings:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
It is important if reading this thread to remember to go by a case by case basis as no two are the same. this really is only significant for these two birds only. example (gapeworm is rare here now but may not be in other countries) but a bird could have alike symptoms from other issues.

it is no mystery that other diseases or conditions coincide with the main threat or sickness. any time a body is brought down and stressed it opens doors for other ailments
to take hold. A good example is letting a pair not in good health hatch their young and feed them, which is stressful which stress in turn can let a bird show symptoms of disease.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thread was not intended as a disease-identifying atlas. Just to show how variated the pathologic manifestations are and how misleading the appareances of symptoms can be as well.

This information base may lead its visitors to a more precautious attitude in making statements, giving diagnoses or starting medications.

If you think this thread is useful, please say a word of encourgament. If on the contrary, you think is misleading or useless, tell me and I will stop contributing to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts