Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the wood pile to get fireplace logs and found Chuck the sad pigeon. It was raining and cold. I shooed him into a pet cage. His back was all scratched and tail feathers are gone. I reckon he had a run in with a hawk. We've had him about 4 weeks and he's getting better. Feathers growing back and can fly a bit. Leg tag au2003vc329. Glad I found this web site and will read up on what to do with him. If you can tell what kind / type pigeon he /she is , that would be great. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hope you have brought him inside, as he won't be safe outside in that cage. Looks like a homer.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Oh, yeah... he's a homer, all right... and 13 years-ish old, to boot... wonder what he's a'doin' out in the middle of... wherever it is that you are... I kinda' hope his owner didn't race him at that age.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
This was the original record for that club code:

Club Name: VALLEY RPC
Club Code : VC
Club Secretary: ROBERT NATROP
City : KAUKAUNA
State : WI
Phone No. : 920-766-3605

...but the club doesn't seem to have continued on into 2011.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Are they not with the AU anymore? I checked all of the years' band listings...

(on their website, that is)

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
They're listed this year.....that's the current contact number. Unless that bird was found in Wisconsin and escaped by mistake, as old as it is, it could have been through several owners and locations. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Hope you decide to keep Chuck. Obviously he is a lost homer who needs a new home. Glad to hear he is getting better. Thank you for rescuing him!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yay, I got a new pet! The leg band is rubber and sort of tight. Should I snip it off? What's the chance I make a outdoor coop and he would fly around and come back to it? Mike

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Hmm... ?take and post a picture of the band? Those should actually be aluminum on the hub with a plastic exterior ring so they don't come off quite so easily.

We REALLY don't know this bird's story unless ya' actually managed to find the original owner. That being said, there's no knowing about whether he'll (or she'll) wanna' fly off just as soon as he or she starts feeling better. Homers very often ultimately wanna' go home... who knows... might even had a mate back there somewhere who's dyin' a worry!

Pidgey

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yay, I got a new pet! The leg band is rubber and sort of tight. Should I snip it off? What's the chance I make a outdoor coop and he would fly around and come back to it? Mike

A lone pigeon really isn't safe out flying alone. More likely to be grabbed by a hawk. Besides, he could have a mate somewhere. If not, then eventually he will probably leave in search of a mate anyway. They are happier in pairs.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The easiest way to catch a pigeon, is to wait till it is dark, turn off the lights, and pick him up. He probably won't fly in the dark.
Also, be careful keeping him in the garage as the fumes from the car are very bad for his respiratory system. They have sensitive respiratory.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts