Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updates with questions (By the way, i tried just adding this update to my thread of over a month ago, but for some reason, it doesn't come "up to the top" of the list of posts, so I am afraid no one will actually see it. So I'm starting this a new thread.)

To refresh your memories. On July 13 I found a baby pigeon (believe 3 weeks old at the time). A little over a week later, I noticed PMV symptoms, including star-gazing, twisted neck, walking in circles, watery poo with green "worms"... etc.
Today he/she (i'm going with she) is @10.5 weeks old. She looks GOOD with lovely plumage. She preens often. HOWEVER, she gets 2 points for flying and 0 points for self feeding.

Usually I can see her eyeing where it seems she would like to fly to, and if she starts to flutter her wings and finally take off, she more often than not flies BACKWARD, often hitting a wall or something, or flies in a tight little circle and slowly drops to the floor. Sometimes she will manage to aim herself so she lands on on object without humiliating herself. . She has flown "UP" maybe three times: twice when outside (she was in a harness so she couldn't escape), and once onto my living room curtain rod where she enjoyed sitting until I took her down to go to her cage.

Regarding eating, I have not yet seen her grab any food with her beak and eat it. I leave pigeon seed and crumbled rice cakes in her cage and it doesn't seem to disappear at all. If I offer her water, she may dip her beak but certainly no "sucking."

I feed her twice a day a "porridge" made of ground pigeon food and water out of an icing syringe. She shoves her beak through the big hole and sucks away while I depress the plunger slowly to keep the mush at the level of the hole. I let her eat until she is satisfied. She usually comes back for seconds, but if the stuff is not at her preferred temperature (i.e. warm), she turns her nose up at it.

She is very docile and will sit on my arm and "peck" at my shoulder. Or sit on my leg when it's up on the coffee table when I watch TV.
She seems mildly curious of her surroundings and will walk around the living room sometimes.

Her poop is still very often watery with "worms" but sometimes "normal" black and white blobs. I just noticed that unformed poo can be a sign of underfeeding. However she is gaining weight (slowly but surely). She weighs a bit under 300 g. If she were hungry, wouldn't she eat the seeds?

About a week ago she started making cooing noises instead of her cheep cheep. Actually haven't hear any cheeps for quite a few days already, now that I think of it.

So what's going on? When will she learn to eat by hers:confused::pelf already?!?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hard to say how well he will be able to fly. Depends on the damage done by the PMV. As far as eating on his own, you will need to encourage that, or he will let you feed him the way he has become used to. He probably doesn't view the seed as food. Maybe if you start feeding the defrosted and warmed peas, and get him used to viewing them as food, then leave some with him and see if he will pick them up. From there you can go to seed.
In nature, they would learn by watching their parents eating and drinking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts