Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use Braggs raw unfiltered ACV. You can find it at your local health food store. 1 tsp to a gallon. You need to use more "1 tbsp" of the heat pasturized stuff the grocery stores sell to get the same effect.
http://bragg.com/products/acv.html

Chisolm trail health blend on the feed, fresh grit, salt, minerals, charcoal and ACV in the water is about all the extras my birds get outside the breeding season.
Tom

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have been using the Braggs and did not know you only had to use 1 TSP, i read somewhere to use a TBS and have been doing that...thanks for the info Windy its good to know the difference between different types of ciders.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Its great for pigeons and for humans. I use 3 tablespoons per gallon. min
Wow, 3 tablespoons per gallon! I've been putting 1 per gallon in the water for my neighbor's birds (at his instruction), and the water tower smells like a salad bar! :p

Questions for all:

Is there a definite advantage to adding as much ACV as the birds are willing to drink?
(until I read Mindy's post, I thought thought 1 tablespoon per gallon was recommended because the birds might refuse to drink the water with a higher concentration, and become dehydrated).

Is it a good idea to put garlic and ACV in the water at the same time, and if so, what's the least messy way to do it? I actually pressed the garlic before I saw a video where a guy poked holes in the cloves with a fork and dropped them into the water, and let it stand a while before serving it to the pigeons.

Are there any common medications that can't or shouldn't be administered while there is ACV in the drinking water?
(When I get some free time, I'm going to make a chart of what to give the birds when, and why... it's the only way I'll ever keep it straight.)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Robin, I can't wait for people to answer. I was always told 3 tablespoons. So I don't know what the right answer is. min

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Wow, 3 tablespoons per gallon! I've been putting 1 per gallon in the water for my neighbor's birds (at his instruction), and the water tower smells like a salad bar! :p

Questions for all:

Is there a definite advantage to adding as much ACV as the birds are willing to drink?
(until I read Mindy's post, I thought thought 1 tablespoon per gallon was recommended because the birds might refuse to drink the water with a higher concentration, and become dehydrated).

Is it a good idea to put garlic and ACV in the water at the same time, and if so, what's the least messy way to do it? I actually pressed the garlic before I saw a video where a guy poked holes in the cloves with a fork and dropped them into the water, and let it stand a while before serving it to the pigeons.

Are there any common medications that can't or shouldn't be administered while there is ACV in the drinking water?
(When I get some free time, I'm going to make a chart of what to give the birds when, and why... it's the only way I'll ever keep it straight.)
Here's an excellent site for medical for reference -
http://pigeoncote.com/vet/formulary/formulary.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Msfreebird, I'll have to try that on the Brussels sprouts. I'm a "supertaster" so most Brussels sprouts taste too bitter to me. Very good when they don't, tho...
Bill
My birds are getting 1tsp of Braggs per gallon of water (1tbsp in some water for me/day ;-} ) and a tsp of Foys probiotics...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Msfreebird, I'll have to try that on the Brussels sprouts. I'm a "supertaster" so most Brussels sprouts taste too bitter to me. Very good when they don't, tho...
Bill
My birds are getting 1tsp of Braggs per gallon of water (1tbsp in some water for me/day ;-} ) and a tsp of Foys probiotics...
I don't like the bitter one's either, I try to get the tiny ones. But if not, the ACV cuts the bitterness and adds a GREAT flavor (cabbage too! yummmm)
Also - sliced cucumber put in jar and soak in acv/water (about 1/2c acv/qt water), the longer they soak (week or 2 at least in fridge) the better they taste! :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
Robin, I can't wait for people to answer. I was always told 3 tablespoons. So I don't know what the right answer is. min
I bet just maybe you were told 3 teaspoons which would be 1 tablespoon, but don't worry it probably won't hurt the birds just your pocket book LOL!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts