Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate input as to which disinfectants and insecticides to use inside the loft? I will be using shavings on the floor and inside the nest boxes. Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don, What kind of shavings are you talking about? Wood shavings will retain moisture from the poops and unless you clean everyday it will allow for bacteria growth. We use a bare floor and scrape every few days here. After scraping we use Virkon S to get rid of any bacteria or viruses in the loft. Diametric (sp) earth is a good natural insecticide and can be used as a de-wormer if used on the feed. Perfectly safe for the birds.
Ken

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diametric earth. Is this the same product they put in pool filters. Our pool has it, white color, replace it once a year. Hopefully, this is the same product.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The disinfectant to clean the loft?
And insecticide for bugs on the birds?

If you've got shaving on the floor and in the nest boxes, there's not going to be a whole lot of cleaning to do on a daily basis.
When I first got my pigeons, I was fanatical about keeping the loft clean. I got over that pretty quick. LOL
I had a well known fancier tell me once that I was keeping my loft TOO clean.......
I basically scrape my floor, perches, nest boxes, once a day. About once a year, I clean REALLY good...meaning I mix up some bleach and water and get down on hands and knees and scrub floors.
As far as something for the bugs on the birds, read this thread
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=28946
If your birds HAVE bugs, then they need to be dipped or sprayed. Once you've got the bugs off of them, offering them a bath at least once a week with some 20 Mule Team Borax in the water will help keep them bug free.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This gives me another good idea. Since no shavings, I will put vinyl tile on the loft floor, so cleaning will be much easier on the smooth finish, as opposed to the concrete.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
In the off season, when the nest box is closed, I am thinking about shavings inside the nest, because of the clean smell of pine. What do you think?
Don't think you're supposed to use the pine shavings at all, but I'm not sure about that. When I DO use shavings, I always use the regular plain "no smell" ones.......LOL

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Renee, this is off the subject, but how do you insert your image that is displayed with your id on the posts?
You mean the one by "Lovebirds"? or the one in my signature. Either one, you have to go to "User CP" and click on either "Edit profile picture" or "Edit signature".....there's a place there to insert pictures.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into all the above...BBCDON,do you just have birds for the fun of it,or do you have racing pigeons,and you race them ??? For many pigeon people,they have the idea the loft must be spotless and germ free !!! This is not so !!
Yes,the loft floor/perches/nest boxes should be scraped at least once a day...Wood floors,that can breathe,not tile,not concrete,not anything else,except if you have grated floors,where the droppings can fall through to the catch pans below...The only way pigeons can get imune to any of the things they can get,is through innoculations,or coming in contact with dry droppings from the pigeons themselves...Art Hees,one of the best Racing Pigeon flyers in the USA,uses dry droppings on the floors of his lofts...His lofts probally cost $50,000 to build...He lives/flys in Florida...You have to have extra healthy pigeons to race and win in Florida,because of the weather and the other great pigeon guys flying there also...To kill all the germs in the loft is a mistake...No,we don`t want a sterile loft OR a loft full of poop to say the least...We want a BALANCE between the pigeons,and what lives amongst them and us, that cannot be seen without a microscope...Long ago,I scraped any sprayed anti-everything in the loft...My birds were never 110% healthy..They were not even 90% healthy...The spray was killing all the germs,then while racing,and coming into contact with other pigeons,they were not up to par health wize...I learned a big lesson then...No more anti-spray`s for germs....There has to be a BALANCE in the loft...Fresh air,clean water,good food,dry loft,are all part of the BALANCE to maintain good health...If you have to put anything on your loft floors,you can use OIL-DRY...You can get this "clay" oil dry at any auto parts store,or Sam`s Club etc...DO NOT USE KITTY LITTER....It has chemicals in the litter that is no good for the birds....The Oil Dry can be raked every day,or every 2 or 3 days,to get the big clumps of you know what...I only have the oil dry/dry droppings under my YB perches,and I rake out the clumps once or twice a week...You can let if go once per week if you have to...But you should replace the oil dry every two months...Alamo

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am getting ready to purchase birds next week after a 25 year absence. I am definitely wanting racing pigeons. I will enter one loft and futurities if racing myself becomes a problem due to neighbors. The tile floor is the only option for me, since the loft is on a concrete slab. I just thought with the smooth non porous surface, it would be a better choice for me. The OIL-DRY idea sounds great. Thanks for you info, it is very helpful.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I use oxine and or nolvasan diluted with water, both are great in the loft and can even be sprayed around babies and eggs. I do use shavings, only under the perches on rainy or humid days as it makes the poop dryer to scrap up, but most times it is just a bare floor, I use pine shavings in the nest bowl on top of stall dry which is a hores stall product, it is clay and diotomaciouse earth and absorbs moister like crazy, I really like it when the the squabs start getting big and and pooping mountain an minute:p as far as the oxine and nolvasan I only use that from time to time when I feel the loft needs it. I give the breeding birds pine needles and horse hay to make nests with they seem to like that. as far as bug deterant, I have heard of folks using orange oil and painting the perches with it and getting it well in the cracks and corners...I just thought that must smell nice, bugs do not like citrus I guess.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.