Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear pt members,
I was wondering. My chicks are a month old, they fly everywhere, and they are scared of me. If I clip thier feathers will it hurt them? Is it a good idea? If so, how do you clip their feathers. They always fly away when they see me, but not so far. I want to get to know them. What should I do?
Sincerely,
Biveon100;)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Dear pt members,
I was wondering. My chicks are a month old, they fly everywhere, and they are scared of me. If I clip thier feathers will it hurt them? Is it a good idea? If so, how do you clip their feathers. They always fly away when they see me, but not so far. I want to get to know them. What should I do?
Sincerely,
Biveon100;)
Did you train them properly for release?

Clipping wings can be a death sentence for birds that are allowed to free fly outside.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't clip their feathers, because they would probably be more afraid.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why would you want to clip their wings? Forcing yourself on them will only make them more scared of you. They have to learn to trust you, and that will only happen if you spend time with them so that they learn that you won't harm them. Clipping their wings IS harming them. Offer them chopped peanuts in a little dish or jar cover. Once they learn how good they are, they will come to you for them. Put some down in front of them where they can see it and try it if they won't come near enough to eat. Eventually, they'll try them and love them. Trust isn't learned by force. It is built slowly. Be patient.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I agree with Jay3.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I too agree . Please do not clip them Biveon100 . Please be patient. Trust is earned, just as human nature does with each other. The more you are around your birds the more accostomed they will become to you. I talk to mine when I service their living area. They enjoy seeing me especially in the morning at feeding time and then treats in the afternoon.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Spend more time with them so they get used to having you around. Speak to them as Victor says. Find out what their favorite seed is by what they grab when you put down the feed, or offer chopped peanuts, or safflower seed. Pigeons usually love both especially peanuts. Of course they don't know that until they try them. I had one pair that I couldn't get near to without them either running away, or just "freezing" in place. When I would go in to feed chopped peanuts to my birds, I would offer the jar lid to them. Of course they wouldn't take them from me, so I would always put some down where they could get them without coming too near to me. My plan was that once they learned how good they were, they would eventually take them from me. It took a long time with this pair, but they will now take them from me. They even follow me around for their share of the treat. By doing this, they learned that I won't hurt them, and that I am the bearer of good things. Most of my birds will eat from my bare hand. Trust me, it feels a lot better knowing that they will come to me because they want to, rather than forcing myself on them because they can't get away. By cutting their wings, you are taking a large part of what they are, away from them. And if a predator, even a dog or cat should come along, they have no way of getting away. All pigeons have different personalities, and some will just naturally be more friendly than others. Some will like to be handled, and some will not, but taking their flight away, will not change that. They may tolerate it, but will never like it. You want them to come to you because they like you. There are no shortcuts to them learning to trust you. If you enjoy them, enjoy them as they are, spend time with them, and let them get to know you. You'll feel great the day they fly to you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Indoor pets do sometimes get out. And often there are dogs or cats around that could harm them. It happens all the time. Besides, clipping is forcing them to have to tolerate being handled. It isn't building trust and getting them to want to come to you. So why clip their wings?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with Jay. Birds love to fly and if they loose the ability to fly (bc of clipping wings) they may associate you with something traumatic and it will be even harder to earn their trust in the long run.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree with Jay. Birds love to fly and if they loose the ability to fly (bc of clipping wings) they may associate you with something traumatic and it will be even harder to earn their trust in the long run.
Good point StanelyPidge09

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My uncle told me to clip their feathers, but i decided to ask you guys first. I was unsure if it was a good idea. How do i get them not to be scared of me? I tried spending all day with them, but then they are still scared of me. I've had biveon for a long time and he eats off my hand. Although when i get near he runs away into his box. He only comes near when i have food.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Biveon, how old are you? We have tried to explain to you that it takes buiding trust in your birds. We also said that would take time. Spending time with your birds. SLOWLY getting them to take food or treats from you. Letting them get used to your being around them a lot. That doesn't happen in a day. Or a month. Biveon is not scared of you. He is a bird. He doesn't want to be picked up. He wants to come to you on HIS terms. Why can you not understand that pigeons are not dogs or kittens. You have to accept them on their terms, not yours. Some pigeons will let you pet them, others will not. Just the way it is. Cats are the same way. But if he were truly afraid of you, then he wouldn't eat from your hand. As for the younger ones, we tried to tell you that it takes time. You spend a day with them and want to know why they haven't learned to trust you and not be afraid of you. When we want to build a bond with ANY animal, it is on their terms, in their time, not ours. We are the one who is wanting to build the bond. The animal could care less about bonding with us. Not necessary to them. So if you insist on a quick bond with an animal then buy a puppy. They are needy and friendly. It's their nature. What you are expecting is that the birds should go against their nature, which would, in nature, be to stay away from humans. And you are expecting that to happen in YOUR time, because it is what YOU want. When you want something from an animal, it has to be in their time. You have to get them to want it. If you cannot understand this, or cannot do this, then it will never happen. With birds, it sometimes will not happen anyway. Just the way it is. Now if clipping their wings, so that you can force your attention on them against their will and before they are ready, is what you want, then go ahead and clip their wings. But remember that you will have to keep them clipped forever, because as soon as they grow back you will be back to square one. Forcing anybody or anything to succumb to your will by force has never built trust in anyone or anything. When my birds fly to me and land on me, it's not because I have food or treats, and not because they have to. It's because we have slowly built a bond. That bond was built on trust, and the knowledge that I wouldn't do anything to hurt them. And that when they see me, I mean good things to them. That takes a lot of time and patience. I think that when you are older, you will understand that. So it really comes down to one thing. Do you want a bond built on trust, or to just have your way with force. You think about it, and decide. There are no shortcuts with pigeons or doves.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well Jay...that does sum it up quite directly and honestly ... I do agree with you. It is the nature of humans to want everything on our own terms without taking the other into consideration.
Biveon...it would be wise to heed Jay's advise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear pt members,
Sincerely,
Biveon100;)
They are pigeons. Cutting their wings is like breaking their spirit. I am new to pigeons also and mine hate me. What I'm doing is getting a chair and bring it into the loft with me and I sit. I'll do my homework, feed them, just chill out. They don't freak out when I open the door anymore. I don't expect to be able to touch them consentually until summer/autumn.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They are pigeons. Cutting their wings is like breaking their spirit. I am new to pigeons also and mine hate me. What I'm doing is getting a chair and bring it into the loft with me and I sit. I'll do my homework, feed them, just chill out. They don't freak out when I open the door anymore. I don't expect to be able to touch them consentually until summer/autumn.
You are doing the right thing. Your birds will be landing on you in time, and probably driving you crazy, because they have learned that you mean them no harm, and are to be trusted. You are smart and understanding, and I think your birds are lucky to be in your loft.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts