Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never raced but I have raised racing homers for the last 14 or 15 years.

My question is I'm looking for as much info on electronic clocks as I can get.

Let me give you an example of what I'm looking for and as questions come up I will ask them, or if you have question i will try to answer them as best I can.

I want race someday but before I do I would be beneficial for me to own a clock for training purposes (to get a feel for who's who and what's what in my loft). And how would a clock help me determine this without belonging to a local club.

Right now the closest club is some distance away. i hope all what I'm asking makes sense.

Thank you
Walter

·
Registered
419 Posts
If that club is close enough for you to race with, you should find out what system they are using. Might as well ask them if anyone in the club has a clock for sale, could be your best bet on getting a deal. Usually people are more willing to help out someone new in their area. Jim

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I agree with Jim here... if you plan on racing with the club in the future get a clock that's compatible and you'll be good to go when your ready to race with them. In the mean time you can use the clock to time your birds from training tosses to get a feel of what you have in your loft.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have never raced but I have raised racing homers for the last 14 or 15 years.

My question is I'm looking for as much info on electronic clocks as I can get.

Let me give you an example of what I'm looking for and as questions come up I will ask them, or if you have question i will try to answer them as best I can.

I want race someday but before I do I would be beneficial for me to own a clock for training purposes (to get a feel for who's who and what's what in my loft). And how would a clock help me determine this without belonging to a local club.

Right now the closest club is some distance away. i hope all what I'm asking makes sense.

Thank you
Walter
Welcome to sport of racing.

Walter, in my opion , you will not get a whole lot of trianing with your clock, unless you get the birds out beyond a 100 miles. IMO, short toss under that dont tell you much.

As the others have said, find out what type of clock the club that you may on planning to join is using. For one , you will need to get them to "download" your band numbers/chip into your clock. Even though you dont plan on racing right away, you might want to join the club and they may be more willing to help you out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome to sport of racing.

Walter, in my opion , you will not get a whole lot of trianing with your clock, unless you get the birds out beyond a 100 miles. IMO, short toss under that dont tell you much.

As the others have said, find out what type of clock the club that you may on planning to join is using. For one , you will need to get them to "download" your band numbers/chip into your clock. Even though you dont plan on racing right away, you might want to join the club and they may be more willing to help you out.

Good Luck
I agree with parrisc, don't get too excited in buying a clock. I myself got excited found a timer at an auction bid on it and won it, when I showed it to my club they all have bad comment about it. I bought the Benzing Express and they all prefer the M-1, luckily there is a G-2 which by far the cheapest and simpliest clock to use, so I sold the express and bought the G-2, it tok a while for my club to figure it out but now they like it and they all have good comment about it. Don't worry about distance of your club I'm 40 to 45 miles away from our club and the farthest not saying I beat my club members, but its all about which bird fly straight and the fastest. So take your time learn the ropes and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you all for the good advice. I'm looking into local clubs, at one time not that long ago ( 7 - 10 years) there were about 15 to 20 racing homer guys within 20 miles of me, now I don't no of any except my cousin who raises homers but doesn't race but would like to.

Thanks again for the advice.

Walter

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was the one who introduced him to homers and most of his stock came from me. Right now I'm breeding from 16 pair of homers that are all related (they are all out of two pair) from my stock in the mid to late 90s. These two pair are responcsible for all my homers and most of my cousins.

Walter

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To tell you the truth Henry I don't know what bloodline they are down from. I was never a racer I just liked watching them fly. I seem to remember buying some black diamonds in the mid 90s and I got some from a Dr. who paid big money for his birds (I know big money doesn't mean good birds).

Cousin just got into pigeons in 2008 modenas and homers, same as me. We show our modenas and we enjoy flying our birds. We are both thinking seriously about racing. We both are sending birds this year for the first time to a one loft race in TN Chrisco's Thanksgiving Day Race I guess that will give us some idea on what we have, maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts