Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've got four fantails. We live in a very quiet beach suburb, never had any problem before. The pigeons never go too far, usually they just sit in the cage or on our balcony. I always lock them up for the night and let them out late morning. However, yesterday, around midday, we heard some noise from outside, sounded like a fight, but these four pigeons sometimes fight among themselves, because the cock is a bit of a bully, so we don't usually pay much attention to these noises. But very luckily we were just at the door, so we rushed outside and saw a big falcon attacking the cock, which is the biggest one of these four. Poor thing was already cornered to the wall, so I think we were really just on time. The falcon flew away. My poor pigeon, was so scared, that couldn't move, so I caught him and put him back to the cage, My other three pigeons were gone, we didn't know what happened to them till they all came back just before dark.

So now, not sure what to do, worried that the falcon will come back. We can't baby sit them 24 hrs, and we don't want them to be locked up in the small cage either. I though maybe attaching a net over the small backyard might be a solution, but other small bird could be stucked in the net.

Would need some advice, thanks a lot

PS:
I wanted to attach a picture, put for some reason it doesn't work, but here's the link:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/album.php?albumid=2011&pictureid=22541

·
Banned
108 Posts
Pigeons that aren't bred for flying are best kept in large aviaries rather than allowed to fly free. There's all sorts of predators (cats especially) out there at all times just waiting to take advantage of the poor flying breeds. A large enclosure made from chicken wire rather than netting will allow them exercise, keep them safe, and will not be a hazard to the small birds.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Pigeons that aren't bred for flying are best kept in large aviaries rather than allowed to fly free. There's all sorts of predators (cats especially) out there at all times just waiting to take advantage of the poor flying breeds. A large enclosure made from chicken wire rather than netting will allow them exercise, keep them safe, and will not be a hazard to the small birds.
I would disagree about using regular chicken wire for you aviary. This is not strong enough to keep out determined animals. Please use a hardware cloth type netting.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
THIS.

We never had a problem with hawks either, but after six months of flying the hawks and other predators come to find the birds, it is their nature to go on the hunt.

I'm glad you got them all back. Please check out the one that was attacked to see i he has any tallon puncture's or any other kind of scratches beneath the surface. He will need antibiotics, if either is the case.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
An aviary to let them out in would be the way to go. Keeping them in that box would be awful, not to mention hot. Breeds that don't fly well are just sitting targets for predators. They weren't made to be let out free. Also, the door on their cage isn't secure from rodents, which are everywhere, whether you see them or not. mice will make them sick, snakes and rats will kill them. If nothing has happened thus far you have been very lucky, but I would cover that door with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Cheap fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for all the advice. The cage is snake proof, the photo is not very good but the door is covered with small wire, I think 1/2 inch. I checked, no scratches, ...and so lucky!
Today though, we've seen a snake climbing over our fence, looked like a tree snake, but can't be sure. I scared him away.
I don't know what happened that suddenly we've been invaded with predators.

I will look for some sort of enclosure, but I'm still not sure what would be the best. I'm surprised that chicken wire would not be strong enough.
What sort of netting you think of?
Something like you can get on ebay?
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=bird+netting?
Commercial Knitted Anti Bird Netting?

thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts