Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Insect Wood Grey Flooring

What could this be?
She has been cleared of coccidiosis, worms, parasites just this past week.

a month ago her blood was tested and things were fine

any thoughts on the cloudy liquids?

she is nesting, finished medicine for capillaria and coccidiosis two weeks ago.

she’s active and otherwise behaving normal.

thanks

· Registered
22 Posts
It might be reaction to medicines you used for "clearing". For instance, levamisole (used against gut worms) makes many pigeons vomit very badly. You can try bird probiotics (Proby-zyme of Versele-Laga) and also add zeolite into her food. Zeolite makes miracles for pigeons health (and not just for pigeons). It is one of the most potent antioxidants and it captures all harmful substances in the body (which are positively charged), including medicines and takes them out. Dosage is 20 grams of zeolite mixed into 5 kg of grains. The ones with smaller size particles are better, the best one is up to 5 mcg particle size. You might add some small size buckwheat into grains because it is easily digestible and also some hulled sunflower seeds (but not much because they eat it too much when they can).

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can even give her twice a day amount of zeoite of a corn grain size mixed with little wet bread and put into her beak until her stool gets normal again.
Thank you for replying.

The medicine she was on was prescribed from the vet.

she had one round of Septra Suspension and 2 rounds of Ivermectin, all orally given. In between I did Thrive for birds after heavy stress/illnesses. Which is a multivitamin supplement that’s only supposed to be given for about a week.

I have been doing ACV in water at least twice a week and I also give her a calcium supplement 1-2 times a week.

They do get a normal multivitamin powder to their food on the regular but I alternate days of some without the powder.

I will look into the Zeolite.

I almost wondered if I also might be over supplementing.

I did mix seed that had added vitamins and minerals with feed that doesn’t. The feed that doesn’t is the majority of the feed.

My male pigeon is fine.
My female pigeon also just finished sitting on her eggs today. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They produce nasty droppings when incubating eggs. Hopefully this was the case and you will see improvement now.
@Marina B
I am hoping that is all it is but she’s finished nesting, while she was nesting she didn’t have the cloudiness and that particular picture isn’t as cloudy as it has gotten. But I will give her a couple more days to see if it clears up. She is very energetic so that’s promising.

· Registered
22 Posts
When pigeons sit on eggs, they have large but completely normal droppings, not at all like the one you posted picture of.
Never give your pigeons ACV. I read such advices and tried twice. Both times my pigeons started to get sick. And i was giving them very little: 5 ml in 4 l of water. I didn't know why untill i read this advice: don't give millet to pigeons because it is base and it makes their droppings base. In base droppings all kinds of pathogens grow easily. And then i understood what happened with ACV. It also creates base reaction, moves acid-base balance of organisms into base side. If you look natural pigeon food, all kond of seeds except millet are acid. Buckwheat is neutral. For humans it is good to have more base foods, but for pigeons is opposite. And i remembered one winter i was giving my pigeons a lot of millet, about 20% and their droppings were extremely wet and many of them got sick. So i never give millet to pigeons.
If you give pigeons calcium tablets, you can easily overdose them. The pigeons must have grit - very small stones in a bowl just for that, to be healthy. It helps them to digest seeds and also provide them with all necessary calcium. And they can take it in the right amount they need. Sometimes they eat it too much, so it is good to remove it about 2 days a week.
I never give my pigeons vitamins because they are not natural products. There are little known research that man made vitamin a and another one (e if i remember correctly) that cause rapid cancer growth in cancer patients, so rapid that the research had to be stopped. Spirulina is natural source of vitamins, minerals, etc but it is base food. Just like other algae, leaves (moringa), and other natural supplements.
Always check dosages of every medicine in multiple websites before giving it to pigeons. And also other substances in medicine. For example ivermectin injection solution can be given orally to dogs (because it is extremely small dose and has small amount of propilen glicole which is predominant ingredient of that injection solution), but not to pigeons.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pigeons sit on eggs 17-18 days. Did the female quit earlier? If she did, then something is not well with her. If she didn't, something is wrong with eggs. Does the male still sit on eggs?
She sat on the eggs for around 23 days. The male and female are separated. When I first got them they were both ill. I would make her get off the eggs and put my hand on them or put them under my leg and let her see so she would go fly around throughout the day.

Also the male had no interest in mating with her, the eggs were replaced with fake eggs. The male is also a couple months younger than her so I don’t think he was mature enough at the time.

And at this point she sees my husband and myself as her mate potentials. We will be reintroducing them soon but have to wait until the male has clipped his wings because we are worried about his eyesight. He has already injured himself flying around and continues to fly into things. He has very strong wings but just can’t seem to gauge his distance before landing.

We have started to let her into his room while he is still locked up. We know they get along but I just don’t want to plop them in the same room without any reintroductions.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read that both coccidiosis and capillaria can leave lesions and make them susceptible to infection and should be treated with antibiotics. I have antibiotic treatment but figured this should be saved for last.

Since the tests cane back negative for infection I am having to think it’s either a new infection or viral.

They also said it can ruin the microbiome in the gut, and to use garlic oil and thyme to help treat. I have considered ordering some veresele laga gut health supplements but I decided to start treating today with probiotics. The one I have says to continue for as long as needed until the poop has firmed back up.

My plan is to treat with Nekkon probiotics for a couple weeks. If I don’t see improvement and she begins to act sick I will administer the antibiotics.

Do you think this is a good plan?

· Super Moderator
8,528 Posts
Those are nasty droppings. What antibiotics do you have available?

First try acv in the water followed by probiotics the next day. Do for a couple of days and see if there's improvement. Green droppings can be a sign of yeast or bacterial infection.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those are nasty droppings. What antibiotics do you have available?

First try acv in the water followed by probiotics the next day. Do for a couple of days and see if there's improvement. Green droppings can be a sign of yeast or bacterial infection.
I have been doing acv for a few days now. I have been pretty consistent giving it to her at least twice a week. But I will do this rotation a couple more days. She had acv in her water yesterday and is a good drinker. She doesn’t today but she had probiotics mixed in her food.

The antibiotic i have is Pigeon Spectovet. When they were sick before I had the vet look over the medication I have on hand and she approved of all the ones I have and in the situation before the ones I had would work for a 2nd dosage but she’s been cleared for those as me ntioned before so I really feel she had something else they missed because they weren’t looking for it.
Font Gas Signage History Memorial

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been doing acv for a few days now. I have been pretty consistent giving it to her at least twice a week. But I will do this rotation a couple more days. She had acv in her water yesterday and is a good drinker. She doesn’t today but she had probiotics mixed in her food.

The antibiotic i have is Pigeon Spectovet. When they were sick before I had the vet look over the medication I have on hand and she approved of all the ones I have and in the situation before the ones I had would work for a 2nd dosage but she’s been cleared for those as me ntioned before so I really feel she had something else they missed because they weren’t looking for it.
View attachment 104313
Active ingredients are lincomycin and spectinomycin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts