Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I noticed a pair of my pigeons acting very aggressively in the loft and they brutally scalped one of my squeakers. So I proceeded to separate them and a couple of days later the pair had horribly runny bright green droppings.

I've been using Sulmet, but apparently too late as I lost the cock bird this morning. It was heartbreaking, the hen did not want me to remove him and after I did so she was carrying a feather from him around in her beak.

Her droppings are still very runny and very green so I'm hoping she pulls through the night. I've given her ACV and garlic oil in addition to the Sulmet.

As for the rest of my loft, there doesn't seem to be any signs of cocci and I'm hesitant to give them Sulmet as I'm not sure if this will affect the birds on eggs and the squeakers negatively so right now I am doing garlic, probiotics, ACV and vitamins in their water. Does anyone know if this drug negatively affects the young?

As for some good news anyway...the scalped squeaker is healing wonderfully after I applied aloe to the wound and feathers are already starting to grow back.

Where there is death there is life I guess...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What dose are you giving her?
Have you any other medications?
Is she eating?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately no all I have on hand right now is sulmet. Im giving her a tsp its a small container of water...she is eating

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
So you are giving her a teaspoon of water with sulmet in it or straight sulmet. If you mixed it...what how much medicine to how much water?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A tsp for approximately 1/2 quart. This is the 2nd dose. Just went and checked on her she is walking around and her feathers aren't fluffed up and she's not looking as droopy.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The pigeon dose is 1 teaspoon per gallon and let them drink as they want for 5 days. Is she drinking on her own?
How do you know it's coccidia?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Have a look inside her mouth tomorrow...one of the signs of coccicia is a pale mouth...almost gray in color.
Is her poop stinky?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Snowpetals ,

This kind of enteritis can be caused by a few different ailments such as coccidia, ecoli, & salmonella . The sulmet can help with all of these to some degree, but it is weakest as a medicine for coccidia, and if your bird has Salmonella, Baytril is usually better.

Regarding coccidia and Sulmet generally, the way it works is Sulmet interferes with the reproduction of coccidia parasites, but doesn't kill the existing parasites. Since these parasites live for 28 days, sometimes you get lucky and during treatment with Sulmet, enough of the adults die off naturally during that time for the bird to gradually improve. But you can get unlucky, where most of them will still be alive at the end of treatment, or the infestation is too advanced to work this way. So it can be hit and miss.

Something I started doing myself personally over the past 9 months when I suspect Coccidia, is to first treat with Amprolium. Amprolium kills the coccidia parasites and you will see a rapid improvement in the droppings very quickly after treatment, if its coccidia you are dealing with. It is possible to treat with antibiotics during this period too, in case you have co-infection or a bacterial infection instead of coccidia like you suspect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could be wrong but the symptoms all seemed to point to cocci. I examined the cock after he died and the inside of his mouth was discolored (like a light gray) and there was blood coming from his nostrils. The hen is responding well to the heat lamp and sulmet so far...I will reduce the dose but she is not drinking much as it is. Should I drip some directly down her throat? If so, how much thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I could be wrong but the symptoms all seemed to point to cocci. I examined the cock after he died and the inside of his mouth was discolored (like a light gray) and there was blood coming from his nostrils. The hen is responding well to the heat lamp and sulmet so far...I will reduce the dose but she is not drinking much as it is. Should I drip some directly down her throat? If so, how much thanks
You could definitely be right. The good response to the Sulmet could also mean she has a bacterial infection , as its an excellent broad spectrum antibiotic; in fact Sulmet is better for treating bacterial infections than coccidia. What I really like about it personally is it can ease the symptoms of coccidia too, which makes it unique as an antibiotic, and so useful when you have to treat broadly due to lack of tests.

As far as I've been able to research, the dosage for sulmet is 5-7ml per gallon (4.5 liters). I did some maths, and this works out to be one drop (0.05ml) for individual pigeon dosing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you think of treating the loft? Is sulmet safe for squeakers and hens on eggs? Do you think the garlic and cider is a good preventative?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Great math, Bella.
I don't think the garlic and cider will hurt but if you have sick birds you need to have the basic medications for bacteria, canker, coccidia and worms. When pigeons get sick, most often it's more than just one thing ailing them.
How old are the squeakers? Are they thriving? It would be okay to treat the hens on eggs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to buy all my meds online and it can be expensive but I'm going to order some more different kinds this week. Any you reccomend that I have on hand at all times? The selection online is overwhelming. Squeakers are 1 month old but some eggs will be hatching this week.
Thank you guys for all your help this is the first pigeon I've ever lost and its been hard

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I know it seems like a lot of money to put out but you will be happy you did when there is another illness in your loft. Most medicines are good for a couple of years, even longer, past the expiration date....so don't throw out a mediciation just because it is expired.
Individual treatment is always the best course because then you know all birds have received the amount of medicine needed for a cure.
Don't buy any medication that is a cure all such as 3 in 1, 4 in 1, 5 in 1, etc. They are worthless, a waste of money. The don't have enough of any one medicine to do much of anything but cause a resistance.
Finally, there are recommended dosages on each medicine. I adapt them differently, such as...1 meditrich is not adequate for a cure of canker. Most often, with severe canker, a dose of 1/2 pill for 7 days or longer is needed. Do keep in mind that each individual dose should be based upon the weight of the bird being treated. Point being...ask us for dosing help.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That was really excellent advice from Charis.

Snowpetal,

I work the same way that Charis decribed when I don't have Vet tests to confirm an illness. Normally when the pigeon has enteritis, I'd treat with a combination of: Antibiotic- Canker Med- Coccidia med (all of the ones Charis named are good) . And if the bird is on the mend, I'll usually worm it a week or two into treatment. I have a higher success rate with healing sick pigeons this way, rather than treating for only one possible illness at a time.

If your lady pigeon continues to respond well to the Sulmet and you want to continue with it, then one possible way you could knock the coccidia on the head is to dose like this over the 28 day cycle:

Dose for ten days, then stop for 8 days, then dose for ten days again. This way the adult coccidia parasites will be completely unable to breed during their 28 day life cycle, and they will naturally die out in the host (your pigeon). This is a long winded way to treat coccidia and wouldn't be so great for a bad case. But so long as your bird is improving on Sulmet, then this would be a suitable treatment.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have to buy all my meds online and it can be expensive but I'm going to order some more different kinds this week. Any you reccomend that I have on hand at all times? The selection online is overwhelming. Squeakers are 1 month old but some eggs will be hatching this week.
Thank you guys for all your help this is the first pigeon I've ever lost and its been hard
Hi Snowpetals, I have some extra meds I can send your way (metronidazole, baytril, maybe some albon) if you want them. I use albon for coccidia. I work for a vet, so I get meds at cost and also free expired meds. Charis is right about expired meds.....they are still effective, they just can't be sold once expired. If you want them, private message your mailing address to me. I won't be able to mail them out until Monday though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts