Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,,

To get you a clear picture of the situation i'll first explain to you the cage setup, it is a 2 decker cage, almost 6 X 2 foot, with very decent height for the birds to hop around and stretch their wings, i have in each decker a pair of jacobins, very cute birds but very bad parents, they laid eggs a couple of times but never hatched any, they dont know how to sit on the eggs and almost always one of the eggs will not be placed correctly underneath the nesting bird...anyways...i knew they are bad parents and was planning to bring another pair that are good at parenting to foster the eggs...

so, couple of days back i tried to move both pairs in the same cage and all hell broke lose, the 2 cocks started a fight more fierce than a real cock fight, i tried to seperate them a hundred times and it didnt work, i tried to cage them next to each other so they will get used to the change but whenever the barrier is gone they'll immediately get at it, i let them fight for some time thinking that they might work it out but they nearly died without even stopping for a second, finally i had no other option but to put each back to its place....

once about 20 years back, i raised pigeons for a couple of years and i had a cage filled with 10-15 pairs, and i never had such a problem...what are your input on this? is this normal? what can i do to put the 2 pairs together?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Mostly because the Jacobin male had already considered the whole space to be his and now there is a new guy to share the space :) I am a little confused on the set up you have described, you have two sections each of 2 ft high x 6 ft long ??

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
each pair needs their own space, sounds like it just may be too close for comfort in there for the male birds. I have some jacobins, but they have a nest box in a loft and do well in that situation. The males hardly ever leave their nest box, they are quite shy and territorial. And your right about them as parents, they do not sit well and most of the eggs are not fertile, but, I like my two pair and that is enough for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx sreeshs, spirit wings...

sreeshs: the cage setup is 6 X 2 = L X W, the height is almost 3-4 feet each...

it looks like i'll have to re-assess the fostering option, i'll just let them take care of their eggs/young and hope that one day i'll see a small bugger roaming around the cage :)

thank you all as always...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Each Pair NEEDS Their Own Space.
Doe's this sound familiar?
The More Space, The Better!!! :confused:
Allways Supply More Than Enough Room/Flying Space/Air Space For Your Pigeons!
You Really Didn't expect that two Male Pigeons, together, in a Confined area, with some Hens, would act gentlmanly (sp) enough, and have the class to reasonably respect each other to even think about starting a family?
Of course, this would be a Do or Die Situation for the Male Pigeons! :mad:
There's Too Much Stress In Your Loft!
The only other thing that I can think of, is, that you are either Not using loft dividers, or are using See Through Deviders! :p
Just What Can Be Done, To Solve This?
Supply A Better Breeding Area, In Your Loft!
Again, The More Space, The Better! :cool:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wow! I'm A Materiach! (sp)
I Sincerly hope that I won't become too Institunesionlised (sp) that a monument would be built ,in my likeness, in North Dakota, maybe in bronze, so All of the Pigeons that come here and visit, could perch on old ND Cooper!
:D
Just imagine, a Pigeon pooping on a Cooper! Again! :eek:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Thx sreeshs, spirit wings...

sreeshs: the cage setup is 6 X 2 = L X W, the height is almost 3-4 feet each...

it looks like i'll have to re-assess the fostering option, i'll just let them take care of their eggs/young and hope that one day i'll see a small bugger roaming around the cage :)

thank you all as always...
6ft L x 3 ft H x 2 ft D cage is more than enough space for a pair and you have a double decker system of the above size for each pair, so they are not sharing the same cage floor. I dont see a problem with space here. Is this cage kept in a small room ? Cant you lock the individual cages ? A photo of the setup might help more

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes sreesh there is no current problem with space, but as i mentioned in my first post, i wanted to put both pairs together to give room for a new pair i want to bring for fostering the jacobin's eggs, but since i cant put more than one pair in each deck, i think i'll have to overlook the idea of bringing fosters, i'll just leave things the way it is...thx all for the input...:D

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Wont work in the same deck, the height and width are not enough, the pigeons will get a feeling of another pair as in a same nest box. I missed the point that both decks had a pair of jacobins, was thinking you have two decks, one with the jacobin and the other deck with the fosters.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Wow! I'm A Materiach! (sp)
I Sincerly hope that I won't become too Institunesionlised (sp) that a monument would be built ,in my likeness, in North Dakota, maybe in bronze, so All of the Pigeons that come here and visit, could perch on old ND Cooper!
:D
Just imagine, a Pigeon pooping on a Cooper! Again! :eek:
have you been drinking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts