Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my cock birds out for excercise and stretch their wings yesterday in the afternoon after work i let them out and one of them got hit by a pretty big hawk and it had ripped his crop i ran to hom when he hit the floor and immediately took him in the house and cleaned his wound and stiched him up and put him in my little aid station i keep in my bedroom to keep an eye on him he's doing ok so far .My question is the female is still warming the eggs should i take them from her or can she incubate them on her own? Ny has not been good to me this season. lol

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Others can comment on your question about the eggs however... never, ever fly birds that are incubating or feeding young because if they should be injured or killed, nest duty is often too much for one bird to handle alone.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I would replace the eggs with the fakes, so that by the time the hen finishes the incubation cycle, the cock bird will be mostly recovered. It also avoids the extra stress to the lonely hen if she is out with the other cocks most of the time.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
My dear friend Sreesh I disagree with you nicely enough---my objective here ---is to get that female back to full nutrition because she will not be using her pigeon milk because now she is single and free and the first thing I want her to do is eat and she will love this more than these eggs without a mate and she will be ready once again for her mate to get well or find another handsome male.....c.hert

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My thoughts are these, if you throw the eggs away, then the incubation cycle ends there. She will be out eating but that at the same time she will be without a mate and needs to be isolated then. Otherwise she will pair up with another cock in the loft and lay eggs again and its only been 6 days on the eggs now. If she is sitting on the fake eggs, she will not break the cycle, develop milk which eventually will be digested by herself. Food and water can be provided in the nest box if she is reluctant to ever leave the nest box in the absence of the mated male.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't think at this time that she has made pigeon milk or as much yet and I realize about the turnover here and one turnover like this if the bird has plenty of calcuim and vitamin D I don't think will hurt her as much as staying on those eggs much more time because there is no male around to relieve her of her duty and for this one time while she has no male with her I would prefer her to eat and drink and get ready for her husband to return or mate her out again---one turnover like this I don't think will hurt that bad and he could separate her from the rest of the pigeons if he wanted to but its the food and nutrition and no stress about sitting on those eggs around the clock alone--too much work for the woman my dear friend Sreesh and its only this one time until things get straighten out a bit---but that freedom for awhile and food eating and drinking at this point I think would be better for her. People call things like this pumping eggs but its not in this case.. The poor little bird without her mate and she needs a new friend or her hurt husband back when he is well and I would just separate her and feed her real well for her next adventure for we don't want to overwork our women. c.hert

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
May be but I don't find a compelling reason that she needs a new friend. When one of my brown cock went down with a paralysis of legs during incubation, I separated him and switched the eggs to fakes. His mate incubated the eggs, left the nest box for feed and drink, at least twice a day when I changed feed, until I kept cups inside the nest box for easy access. She did a fine job, was not at all bothered about not having her mate to help with incubation.

I re introduced the cock after about 12 days and took out the fakes, they continued their normal life and have given two more clutches after that :) As with all pigeons, they are pretty adaptable, I would never introduce a new friend for her in between but wait for the cock to recover and continue with the family.

I think sgtpouter would have had an easy decision if the hen abandoned the eggs herself but which is not the case here

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes, she can keep her fake eggs, otherwise it would be a bigger upset for her. pigeons do not like abrupt changes. she may need to be lifted off in the afternoon for her break, she may abandon them at some point in which by then her mate will be better and they then can be back together. And of course this the reason why NOT TO FLY BIRDS ON EGGS AND OR BABIES.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Well I guess in a way you might have a good argument here and if you did keep fake eggs with her maybe she would abandone down the road and my concern was getting her to the feed box quicker and cleaning herself up and be able to take a bath in the nicer weather and just basically fool around with her bird friends while she is waiting for her hubby to come back and this also would stop the process of her making pigeon milk and her bottom not be so darn hot but each person has a different outlook on this and I just love the different opinions and they are equally valid but it depends on how you are looking at the situation and this is what I would do if it happened to me in my loft if two parents could not be there helping each other out with their family. c.hert

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well I guess in a way you might have a good argument here and if you did keep fake eggs with her maybe she would abandone down the road and my concern was getting her to the feed box quicker and cleaning herself up and be able to take a bath in the nicer weather and just basically fool around with her bird friends while she is waiting for her hubby to come back and this also would stop the process of her making pigeon milk and her bottom not be so darn hot but each person has a different outlook on this and I just love the different opinions and they are equally valid but it depends on how you are looking at the situation and this is what I would do if it happened to me in my loft if two parents could not be there helping each other out with their family. c.hert
it is a nice thoughtful way to think. her family is or should be wooden eggs now, so sitting is really not hard, she just needs to be lifted off at some point to stretch and bath.. my birds see a bath pan and come running even if they are on eggs, they bath and eat then go back to the nest. as far as the milk goes they will get that in and be ready if they hatch or do not hatch, keeping them from laying too close together is what you want to stop not the milk readiness, that really does not cause any trouble as it will be absorbed , pigeons have to do this all the time with non breeding lofts as they use fake eggs all the time and the milk is not used. also if and when she gets off the nest with the fake eggs she won't have a cock bird driving her back so soon!..lol...:)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Lots of good valid points here and when there is a male and a female and they laid eggs I also put in plastic eggs for the duration to give them a rest from laying so soon but there are two of them and thats what makes the difference for me...This has been a fun discussion and I have enjoyed it as I am sure you have...lol....c.hert

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
trees Yes i candles the eggs yesterday only one was fertile and getting ready fro developement also i keep al my breeders isolated from the rest in thier own nest boxes .Today the cock that got hit and is stiched up im happy to say is recovering mighty well he follows me aroud the house and has started lifting himself gradually flying in place but its to soon to reunite him with his mate its only been a few days since the hit. But i learned my lesson i will never fly my breeders again when they have eggs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol I learned it from my dad He was the one that instilled the love for Homing pigeons and thief pouters in me .And i've been Having them and rasing and flying them for 25 +years. I really glad to have you guys and gals to still give me advice since in agust it makes 9yrs since he passed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts