Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I noticed that there was a little dove sat in the middle of our garden. Spoke to a wildlife rescue who advised to leave it for a few hours and then intervene if it's parents don't turn up. Left him until about 5 before bringing him in (we have a lot of cats and foxes around)
He seems to be fully fledged with a bit of down on his tummy, he has his 'collar' , very docile.
I gave him some water and some millet. He has pooped a little.
Wondering what the best next step is. I'm worried if I take him to a vet they will euthanase.
Is it fair to keep him for a couple of days until releasing back into the wild?
Thanks, Sarah

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thank you for rescuing it, it wouldn't have lasted long on its own.

Can you examine its head for tics? These are very common in collared doves and can seriously weaken them.

This link will tell you how to stabilise it and examine it, just to make certain there are no hidden wounds from predation:

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk

It is best not to release it until you are certain that it is strong enough to find food and avoid predators. Can you tell us roughly where in the UK you are just in case we know of a trustworthy rescuer or rescue centre?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He seems to be in good health - he is bright and alert.

No wounds and no obvious signs of any ticks/parasites but will check in more detail when I get back from work. His poop had a slight greenish tinge.

I am based in Reading, Berkshire. I phoned a few local rescues but no one seems to have space!

I am guessing as he is fully fledged he can have grains etc to eat?

Thanks! Sarah

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Yes, grains will be fine.

Did you try Raven Haven? I like them because they are very pigeon friendly and no kill, but it is baby pigeon season so they could be completely full.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

He will probably stay with me until strong enough to go back out (if he will eat by himself etc and remains healthy - otherwise he will go to a rescue or vet)

I am a little bit in love!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
To be on the safe side avoid St Tiggywinkles and RSPCA!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He seems to be doing OK... Checked him over for parasites etc and couldn't see anything obvious. Currently he is bumbling around my kitchen! He has also pecked at some seeds.
Just a couple of quick questions...
What does healthy poop look like?
How long should it be before he can fly? He keeps trying but only gets a few cm above the ground.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Healthy collared dove poops are very neat pale brown coils with a cap of white, easy to brush up when they dry out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts