Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
On saturday late evening I was taking my dog for a small walk (Italy here, total lockdown, only essential movements allowed). In the middle of the street I found a Collared Dove with an injured wing, she could not fly, did not have bleeding injuries but a well visible calcification on the "shoulder" part of the right wing. I managed to catch it easily, she wouldn't have survived the night with all the predators.

Sunday couldn't get hold on anyone, cause of COVID all non-essentials are stopped.

Monday I was thinking about taking her to a refuge but while searching I found no-so nice news on that "rescue centre", they're under investigation for feeding injured birds to their birds of prey and I called a bird vet who confirmed me that's the only place I could take her but also that what I found online is the truth.:mad:

I decided better to do my best to save her, she's so cute. I really can't afford the vet for visit and X-rays, so he suggested me how to proceed, I got her proper food, fersh water and a quite large carton box where I made many holes for air change. I also managed to find a plastic transparent cover, so she can see the light. I keep her in a cal, warm room with light and aeration.

She seems eating and isn't too scared. At first she was a bit off when i got close, but now she lets me handle her without complaining. Obviously I leave her quiet as much as possible, I disinfect the injury with a light hydrogen peroxide, she has no bleeding but she's injured with a broken(?) wing and an evident calcification at about her "shoulder":confused:.

The vet told me she could probably heal in 7 to 10 days. She's very calm. :eek: Doesn't seem suffering, I built her a little nest and there she sits all the time.

I'm not a bird man, I'm into dogs and cats, so it's basic first aid notions and lots of love that I can put in. If you can suggest anything and everything to help her stay better, feel better, heal sooner or whaterver positive thing I might do, I'm here just for this.

I was thinking if buying her a cage woud be beter than a cardbox, but first these days we have a winter tail with night frost,secondly her situatin wouldn't be the best to be trasferred as is now.

She seems so calm but doesn't look like she suffers a lot. I'm afraid not to recognize her behaviours in time, would she need more help. Do they usually need antibiotics or other medicaments in these situations or they tent to heal naturally? I read to add some veg and fruit to her diet. I read "veg not for human consumption", didn't really understand why. Lettuce and similar arent good? Carrots? Which fruits are best and how to serve them (tini pieces, a whole apple or pair slice, a piece of banana, what's best and how to give it to her?

The vet said she might not be able to fly again, if this is the case I will have a dog, a cat and a collared dove I suppose. She's so cute I really feel for her.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated!
Thank you!
Now it's night-time and I don't want to wake her up, tomorrow I'll make some good pic and post some so you can see with your own eyes the injury and the general state of her and her new "home" so you can suggest me even better!

I'm so glad you exist! In italian sites I could manage to find what she eats and some not-so-useful history of origin...

Thanks in advance,
Chri

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Thank you for helping her! Our beloved Phoebe was an injured feral pigeon who became our dearest love. Hope your collared dove also becomes a beloved pet.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thanks for helping her. You can also post a photo of her droppings, that will indicate if she is eating enough. She won't need antibiotics, it's only when a predator ex a cat got hold of her, then they need antibiotics.

The only vegetables you can offer, is chopped up spinach. Although it might take a while for her to get used to it. Plse post a photo of her setup.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping her 😊! I'm Italian too!

If you can get them, you can add to the dove/pigeon mixture dry legumes (the ones for humans) like mung beans, small lentils and split peas and also a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. My birds don't eat fruits or vegetables.

I'm really glad to hear that you did not bring her to that horrible refuge (btw years ago I was told that injured doves are generally euthanized in rescue centres...)...

Check carefully all her body, sometimes some injuries are hard to see because hidden by feathers. Also pay attention to any bad smell coming from the wound: if you notice it, it means that the injury is becoming infected and so an oral antibiotic would be absolutely and urgently needed.

If you can get it, you can add to her drinking water a vitamin supplement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some Pics for better understanding

Thank you so so much for your kind & fast replies!
COVID is making life much harder now....even getting her some proper food nearly got me in serious troubles...

I'm not gonna let her die for this anyway...I'm pretty resolute and a part from money (which I cannot "invent"...for the rest I'm pretty good at finding solutions instead of seeing problems.

Anyway...noting really changed since yesterday...I had no poop to show because I do my best to keep her tiny environment clean. I will keep her poop and give you a picture with a dayily "sample" LOL.

I don't know what you can deduct from pics about her injury...I realize this is not a good set-up for her, but I live in a very tiny flat and the small space I gained is in my bathroom/growroom (and what not)...

The light you see isn't just standard lightning, is from a grow lamp, it mimics the sun and as I read they love sunbathing I thought she might like it. As you can see (can u?!) she has alway the choice to stay both in a "sunny place or shadow. At night I take the plastic away and close the box, so to keep her warmth and darker, caue grow lights are on till 2am.

Her injury looks the same really...considering my ignorance obv. She doesn't move, she keeps very quite. I thought to leave the box without the plastic top...you think it could do or she might injure herself trying to escape?

I don't know if you can see that I made plenty holes (1x1inch) on every side and top of the box. Would it be important if I find a type of net of some sort in exchange of that knurled plastic which allows light but not proper view.

I was thinking to buy a proper cage...but it'd be too cold to leave her outside and I have no space to keep a cage inside...it could be a possibility if she can't fly anymore in 2-3 weeks time, when spring sets in properly and she's recovered, what do you think?

I love her and any animal, but first I do respect them and their freedom, so my first hope is for her to recover and fly away happily. If it won't be possible she'll have to stand me like it or not I guess :) Unless she feels like fighting the cats of my condo...but I don't see this ending well at all (just jocking obv! :) )

Here few pics, please fel free to suggest, considering the lockdodwn, my finances and usual life issues, I'll do my best for her as I do for each animal I decide to take onboard (even my dad! And he's much bigger and complaints a lot! :D )

Let's get to the pics of Bella (it's her name...)
https://ibb.co/album/jZiAOv

And thank-you all! You're so kind! I felt really...by myself and without any knowledge...thak you folks! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping her 😊! I'm Italian too!

If you can get them, you can add to the dove/pigeon mixture dry legumes (the ones for humans) like mung beans, small lentils and split peas and also a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. My birds don't eat fruits or vegetables.

I'm really glad to hear that you did not bring her to that horrible refuge (btw years ago I was told that injured doves are generally euthanized in rescue centres...)...

Check carefully all her body, sometimes some injuries are hard to see because hidden by feathers. Also pay attention to any bad smell coming from the wound: if you notice it, it means that the injury is becoming infected and so an oral antibiotic would be absolutely and urgently needed.

If you can get it, you can add to her drinking water a vitamin supplement.
I'm from Codroipo (UDINE)...are we any close?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for helping her! Our beloved Phoebe was an injured feral pigeon who became our dearest love. Hope your collared dove also becomes a beloved pet.
It'd definetly be nice! She better learn to stay close and on my shoulder tough...my cat "loves" birds...tbh he's more into rats tough...but I wouldn't believe him making much of a difference. ;)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Looks like a nasty wound, she will need antibiotics. If a cat got hold of her, she won't survive as cat saliva are deadly to birds. You can rinse the wound with saline water and put some antibiotic cream on. Can you get hold of amoxycillin (sold as 500 mg Betamox) from a pharmacy?

The water dish is too high for her, can you maybe put down a shallow dish. It will be easier for her to drink then.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In similar situations, according to my vet instructions, I usually disinfect the wound and apply an antibiotic cream twice a day. I also give an oral antibiotic.

You could check your own first-aid kit and the one of your pets: you could have something (antibiotic cream, etc) useful even for your dove. In this bad period it could be complicated get a prescription from a vet...Let us know if you find something that seems useful... If possible, we can give you an advice.

Have you noticed any bad smell coming from the injury?

Yes, the glass is too high, you could use something similar to the glass bowl in the pic.

If you have a piece of mosquito net, you could replace the plastic top with it, she could have a proper view and a better air circulation.

In these days it's important to keep her in a small box like you are doing because she needs to stay calm. She needs to heal now.

We are not too close or too far away... In these last years I spend a lot of time in the countryside of Brescia renovating (liiittle by liiiittle.... 🙄 ) our family home... But in this period I'm in France.
Btw years ago I once spent my summer holidays in Lignano, twice in Caorle. I visited many beautiful places in Friuli, Veneto and Trentino, I love that area, wonderful places 😍!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the group and have a collared Dove, too! His name is Opal. He was also a rescue. We found him nearly starved to death over 10 years ago. I have other birds - parrot type species - whom I adore as well. Opal has been a funny and unique contributor to our family. Since he's male, he coos A LOT! I'm used to it and forget about his cooing until visitors say something about it. He's been super healthy (normally... he's sick right now ) and chubby. He's on a pellet diet that is actually made for budgies (aka parakeets) plus LOVES slivered almonds at night before bed. He also loves Nutri Berries broken up for him to eat as a treat and cereal pieces broken up for him occasionally and basically anything else my parrots and conures get. That may give you more ideas for food and treats depending on what you have available in Italy. I'm glad there are bird rescuers in other parts of the world. It's not super common where I live (rural area in the US).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts