Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help i found a dove on the 2nd of september he was about 6 to 8 weeks old without his flight feathers, he has lived free in my house until the 18th of december when he accidently flew out the door, i kive in chatham in kent, there was 8 inches of snow and extremely cold. He is so loving, he loved cuddles would you believe, and wouldn't leave my side he slept beside my bed on a shelf. Is it possible for him to survive and would he have any navigation skills to return, i am absolutley devastated and just before christmas, please give me a truthful answer. and Merry Christmas. From Karen.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Karen,

I am so sorry this has happened to you and in such bad weather, but please don't blame yourself because collared doves are incredible escapologists!

One of my rescue doves escaped in the same weather conditions a few years ago. She wasn't tame, but had been rescued as a nestling. She hung around the garden next door at roosting time and also palled up with another dove. Unfortunately I was unable to catch her.

What you can do is put food out somewhere really visible, preferably on something that she is familiar with. Also put out fresh water. If you can provide some sort of shelter safe from cats that might attract her.

You should also put up notices asking people to watch out for her. One of our members' escapee tame collared dove flew into a window two blocks down from her home, it was the pub and the landlord knew the owner so took her home.

Doves don't home like pigeons do, but the baby ones that I raised, rehabbed and released would return for food, probably because they knew the garden, probably because they followed the wild doves at feeding time.

Keep hoping, provide as many home comforts outside and walk around calling her name.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts