Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Can you post a picture oh the parents of this bird ? Looks like some type of OPAL with some other color modifier at work here so a picture of the parents would help. It also might help if you could give us a picture of the wing opened up. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Can you post a picture oh the parents of this bird ? Looks like some type of OPAL with some other color modifier at work here so a picture of the parents would help. It also might help if you could give us a picture of the wing opened up. GEORGE;)
I defer to George's opinion, since he definitely knows more than me. That being said, I have bred 2 homozygous indigo t-pattern birds split for bar that look very similar to the bird in question, except that the tails were lighter and did not show the darkening towards the tip.

George, I assume that is why you suspect and opal? The suggestion of the tail bar and maybe even a bar on the wing? I did not know opal (dominant or recessive) could cause washing out of the base of the feather, like ash-red and homozygous indigo can.

Kind regards,
Rudolph

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
After digging thru some of my books on genetics I find in the book GENETICS OF PIGEONS, by Lester Paul Gibson PhD. QUOTE " A new phenotype was found by Lynn Kral which she labeled Flash Grizzle the statis of this tratis now being studied.The trait was first seen in Indian Fantails. At the time of writing this book, I only have three pied Flash Grizzle Racing Homers but by the time this book is printed I should know more about this trait. The trait whitens the tail feathers toward the base on each side of the quill but lusually leaves the quill colored. It also affects the wing feathers tn the tertiarets (I now have 6 flash grizzle birds.) Research has shown the trait to be recessive" He has pictures of a flash grizzle Dominant opal that looks very much like the young bird pictured in this thread. GEORGE;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.