Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have read a few of the threads on colored pigeons but nobody actually says HOW to do it, like the ACTUAL procedure.

I bought the food coloring and based on the few experiences of some, having written that their white birds have stopped being attacked by raptors, I want to give it a try.

So does ANYbody have the actual step by step procedure they can share? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Ive read a few more things and one says cool aid as well.
Spray bottle option.
Cotton ball option
Dipping option

·
Registered
727 Posts
Coloring pigeons

I have colored the white flights on rollers to determine what was performing verses what was not performing.

The best way I found was to mix food color with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I was just coloring the white flights and tails. I don't know that I would spray down the whole bird.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok great, thanks guys, Chuck I agree I would to a few test patches first to see how it looks and works. Sreeshs, I will google a few pouter breeders and ask and see what they come u with, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have colored the white flights on rollers to determine what was performing verses what was not performing.

The best way I found was to mix food color with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I was just coloring the white flights and tails. I don't know that I would spray down the whole bird.
Chuck, what is the ratio? Water to Alcohol. Funny when I was vaccinating for Salmonella, I had a spray bottle of water to get to the skin of the bird, but noted that the water alone would not work, just beaded off the birds.
When I used the straight alcohol it worked WAY better to lay down the feathers.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Alcohol

I would put one of the small food dye bottles which was about a ounce to half ounce in one bottle of alcohol. The dye would last about four months on the birds before it faded out.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would put one of the small food dye bottles which was about a ounce to half ounce in one bottle of alcohol. The dye would last about four months on the birds before it faded out.
Thanks Chuck, about how many birds can u do with that amount? I guess I would either put on cotton wool and wipe or in a small spray bottle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks Chuck, about how many birds can u do with that amount? I guess I would either put on cotton wool and wipe or in a small spray bottle.
I don't really know how many birds that would do. I usually did four or five at time, and most of the time I ended up throwing out most of the bottle so it will cover quite a few. I always used the spray bottle.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a dye on ebay made just for pigeons but have not used it yet. But like the other options posted here.
Can you tell me where you bought the 'pigeon specific' dye? Can you post the link for me? I couldn't find ANYTHING on the net.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, will see what colors I do :)

Today, 06:56 AM
orock
Matriarch/Patriarch
Here is the link
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pigeon-Supplie...-/271449730933

Today, 01:13 AM
hollywoodlou
Pigeon
Here is where you get it
http://pigeons.mercasystems.com/inde...esult/?q=paint

http://www.mercasystems.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts