Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have dosage info for using both Baytril and Doxycycline at the same time to fight paratyphoid complicated with respiratory illness?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have some concern that if your birds have been on baytril, for a while, they may have developed a yeast infection which you are contributing to respiratory illness. Baytril is very powerful drug and destroys good bacteria and bad. Do you have nystatin oral suspension?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Baytril dosage: 5~7,5 mg twice a day
Doxycicline: 7,5 mg twice a day (you can go up to double the dose in severe infections)

Administer antibiotics two hours apart!
Remove any grit and calcium sourses.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, one of the birds with respiratory is the mate of the bird with paratyphoid. He has never had any Baytril. Tonight I will just give the
Doxy. I want to order some med supplies to have on hand . What is the best source?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say can I combine Terramycin with Baytril? The doxy I got from the vet is
a sticky candy liquid that I'm sure the bad bacteria will like.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thanks, one of the birds with respiratory is the mate of the bird with paratyphoid. He has never had any Baytril. Tonight I will just give the
Doxy. I want to order some med supplies to have on hand . What is the best source?

There isn't one best source, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Superflyer, if you got the Doxy from a vet there is a good chance the suspension was made with carboxymethylcellulose, a thickening agent that may look syrup like, but is not. Besides, even if it was made in a syrup base, syrup base by the way is how I make all of my own home suspensions, the small amount of sugar in a dose will not , in my opinion, exacerbate the bacterial infection.

Karyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts